Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

I'm pretty late to the party on this but I recently watched Bill Burr's latest 'Paper Tiger' on Netflix which was recorded at Royal Albert Hall. His material on robot sex dolls & the pre-internet stress of visiting a sex shop is wonderful.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Also, has James deleted his Twitter account because of that show or has it been gone for a while now? Or did he ever have one?

He had a bit about deleting it last night.

I had a look at that guy who tweeted. His most recent non-RT before that one was "bring back hanging for treason." Lovely.

I went to see Russell Kane on Friday night and thought he was brilliant!

So much energy and passion. The stories about his family are top notch. He is bringing out an entire book about his relationship with his dad, the Legendary Dave Kane. This is a must buy book for me to devour during the Christmas holidays.

Anyone else out there in UKKF land have any love for Russell Kane? :)

That first show of his that won the Perrier award was quite good but does he not have any other material apart from stories about his Dad? It's all he's gone on about for nearly 10 years now.

I don't mind his Evil Genius podcast though as he's only in short bursts because he can be exhausting to listen to with his hyperactivity. 

12 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

That first show of his that won the Perrier award was quite good but does he not have any other material apart from stories about his Dad? It's all he's gone on about for nearly 10 years now.

I don't mind his Evil Genius podcast though as he's only in short bursts because he can be exhausting to listen to with his hyperactivity. 

He hardly mentioned his Dad because of the release of his upcoming book, but did do a large chunk of the second half of the show about the rest of his family.

He interacted with the audience quite a lot in the first half of the show and also did a long piece on Brexit, which was brave because most comedians tend to leave that comedy culdesac well alone. 

• Paid Members

The latest comedy central roast (Alec Baldwin) is ok, I don't love them but always watch them because it's a comedy event. There are some amazing burns on this one but mostly the usual shit.

The only reason I even mention it is because I was completely alarmed to see Robert De Niro was on it, both roasting people and sitting there on the stage being slagged off, it was fucking bizarre and his gay joke to Sean Hayes was so stupid and old fashioned it creased me up. Also Adam Carolla sucks.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:42 AM, Lord-Mountevans said:

Brexit, which was brave because most comedians tend to leave that comedy culdesac well alone. 

Do they fuck. Brexit, Boris and Trump are all low hanging fruit for comedians to easily get 2019 crowds onside (depending on the venue/crowd, of course).

That said, Russell Kane is the only comedian I’ve seen whose Brexit material is actually any good. I don’t think I’ve seen any of his shows between his first special and his set at Reading this year, but I really liked both of them. I’m looking forward to the book as well. 

9 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Do they fuck. Brexit, Boris and Trump are all low hanging fruit for comedians to easily get 2019 crowds onside (depending on the venue/crowd, of course).

That said, Russell Kane is the only comedian I’ve seen whose Brexit material is actually any good. I don’t think I’ve seen any of his shows between his first special and his set at Reading this year, but I really liked both of them. I’m looking forward to the book as well. 

Yeah i can't wait for the book and the audio version should be amazing!

Regarding Brexit. I went to a comedy course and all the students were advised to leave Brexit THE FUCK ALONE! It was the only subject that was off limits! The tutors said that they have seen so many audiences alienated, that it is simply not worth the risk.

I have seen quite a few acts quickly mention it and live to fight another day. But like you said, Russell Kane just goes for it and does it very well.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

It was the only subject that was off limits!

The Bernard Manning memorial school of comedy was it.

Lesson 2: sitting in your custard stained pants explaining how your not a racist because darkies and pakis enjoy your shows.

9 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

This is definitely the more apropos assessment of the topic in my opinion.

Tons of comedians do material on Brexit. Some comics even have entire shows based around it. Matt Forde had 'Brexit Through The Gift Shop' in 2018 and 'Brexit, Pursued By a Bear' this year. Nish Kumar had 'It's in Your Nature to Destroy Yourself'. Club comics will often skirt around the subject as the audience will be very mixed. Touring acts, who have their own audience, will find it easier to do material on topics like that as the majority of crowd will already be on their side of thinking and they're less likely to lose a crowd or have some turn on you.