Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Awards Moderator

I thought those James Acaster specials on Netflix were the best stand up sets I've ever seen. Just breathtakingly funny, intricately constructed and performed with such diffidence that sells everything.

Some of his set-up / pay-off stuff was reminiscent of Harry Hill, but far, far less surreal.

• Paid Members

I quite liked Tambourine but it wasn't his best, by any means.

I've seen some clips of James Acaster and I didn't really like his style at all. Seems a bit Eddie Izzard-esque to me, and I don't like Izzard.

Yes, two thumbs up for Acaster.  From clips you'd get the impression that it's really annoying comedy, but actually that's part of the act, if you see what I mean.  It's a very clever character and his callbacks are, as @johnnyboy says, world class.  It's also much more gentle and accessible than Stewart Lee, but still rewardingly clever.

The audiobook version of James Acaster's book 'Classic Scrapes' is well worth it. Absolutely hilarious and a little more straight forward compared to his stand up if that's a bit too weird for you. He narrates it himself and does a brilliant job of it. It sounds more like someone telling you the story rather than reading from a book.

I watched Bridget Christie's Netflix show which is great. Only really got into her recently after listening to her on a couple of podcasts and her Radio 4 show Utopia.

Greg Davis Magnificant Beast is bloody brilliant too. I saw a work in progress version of it last year which I really enjoyed. Loved the fact that they had to cut out the opening joke.

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Greg Davies Magnificant Beast is bloody brilliant too. I saw a work in progress version of it last year which I really enjoyed. Loved the fact that they had to cut out the opening joke.

I saw it live last year and enjoyed rewatching on Netflix, but one long gag feels wrong footed. That story about the Bristolian date crosses from wicked to mean-spirited and just doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the show. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Can't remember if I mentioned it in here or not, but Katherine Ryan's Netflix special had me in hysterics more than many stand-up shows have in a long time. Probably not for everyone, but some genuinely brilliant gags and callbacks in there. Really well put together.

Last month I went to see John Robin perform his Edinburgh-winning show 'The Darkness of Robins' and it was one of the best stand up shows I've ever seen. Completely deserving of the award just for the last 10 minutes alone. He filmed a couple of the dates so it should be released some time later this year. I thoroughly recommend checking it out if it does.

He has a couple of his previous Edinburgh shows up for pay-what-you-want download on his bandcamp page: https://johnrobins.bandcamp.com/ 'Where Is My Mind' is a really good one. 

• Paid Members

Watched the third episode of James Acaster's Netflix series, and it's fantastic. Possibly not quite as consistently funny as the first two, but has some absolutely superb standout moments. Definitely the most Stewart Lee-esque so far, as well, relying on a lot of repetition, long build to seemingly minimal or redundant pay-off, antagonising the audience, and playing with the format of a stand-up show, but only really once felt like it belonged in Lee's Plagiarists' Corner.

• Paid Members

I loved all of the Acaster shows, he's probably my favourite comedian at the moment. Not sure at the comment about him not doing this type of stuff on Mock The Week, he's 100% done material from these shows on that (and his club sets) which is completely standard tbf & isn't a knock on him at all. But surprised at the Stewart Lee comparisons though as I don't see it myself. I find Acaster far funnier that Lee, who I used to adore (41st best comedian was a joy) but have soured on in recent years.

• Awards Moderator

Just back from seeing Dara O'Briain at my local. Such a naturally funny guy, you feel like he's just wandered on the stage and started talking. And he'd carry on the conversation off stage too. Always worth catching live if you get a chance. 

I don't really enjoy stand up comedy that much. I much prefer the medium of sitcoms to make me laugh.

In saying that, the only comedians I'd watch at any length are Louis CK, George Carlin and Dave Chappelle. Jerry Seinfeld's alright, too.

Louis CK's last special barely raised so much as a chuckle, though, so I'd recommend his older stuff first.