Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

It's funny. I think Patton Oswalt and Kevin James are hilarious when they have stuff written for them on King of Queens but I don't think their stand-up is particularly funny - Patton's excruciatingly unfunny.

Robin Williams was funny in movies and was piss-my-pants funny in interviews but I remember being distinctly underwhelmed when I watched one of his contemporary stand up shows.

The only people whose funniness has translated to the stage, for me, are Dave Chappelle, Louis CK and George Carlin and even that's in small doses. A lot of Louis CK's stuff is genuinely funny but there is no finesse about it whatsoever, it's just nonstop masturbation and fat jokes. His most recent stand up special was the pits though, 60 minutes raised a chuckle once or twice; the recent scandal may have come at a good time because, judging by that, he may have jumped the shark anyway. George Carlin has mythical status but his best jokes, for me, again, are basically glorified fart jokes.

Someone who gets a bad rep is Michael McIntyre but from what I've seen he is good at what he does. He's a lot better than some others who have more credibility.

• Paid Members

@Guy Bifkin If you're serious about a course can be helpful. Even if it's just learning the basics like how to stand, hold the mic, key things to avoid etc. Most people would advise you to write some stuff, learn it & sign up for an open mic night. Pretty sure @SpursRiot2012had a crack a while ago? If you do choose to have a go I'd avoid telling anyone you know IRL & just do it in front of a bunch of strangers. Avoid any open mic gig that tells you that you either have to pay or bring audience members to get stage time, it'll be shit.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Has anyone tried stand up comedy?

It's midlife crisis territory but I think I want to have a go. I am a pretty poor joke teller but I do get told a lot that I should try it. I think if I get on a topic I know well and have thought about a great deal I can be pretty funny in general conversation. I used to be hung up about speaking in front of large crowds but I do it quite a lot for work now and although I'm always convinced I'm rubbish other people say I'm very good at it. I do always throw in a few gags to these speeches that nearly always go down well. 

Whilst that's not quite how I imagine Richard Pryor started out, in my deluded mind that's enough to work with. Where to begin though? Should I just work out a short routine and bowl up at an open mic night? Are there any good books, courses or websites about that offer advice?

If I quote this and put my name at the top as if I wrote it I couldn’t have said it any better.

Tap up old Chilli, he’ll sort you out.

As a way of softening the blow of my inevitable shitness, I was thinking of doing it for charity - getting sponsored, consider it my sky dive.  Same nervousness and anxiety but with only the fear of a metaphorical death to worry about.

• Paid Members

I personally have to disagree with the course thing. I did a course, after having been on stage a few times, and I found that what you'd learn doing a couple dozen open mics is pretty up there with what you'd pay to learn on a course. They can be helpful, don't get me wrong, but just my two cents. 

• Paid Members

Courses help, some good new comics I know did courses. I just decided to hit as many open mic nights as possible, testing different bits of material and constantly restructuring it until I had something solid.

Gongs shows are worth a pop just to test your mettle with an audience. Open mic music gigs are good to try as it will give a different audience and a chance to see how your writing stands. Go on stage knowing fully well it could be fucking shit, it will make you try more, and don't get rattled if something doesn't land. Look at why it didn't. I've met new acts at gong shows who thought their shit didn't stink and they were not prepared for an audience that didn't roll with their expectations.

Just keep consistent, and write as much as you can (time yourself) etc. I've only been back performing for 10 months and I'm just a shade under 100 gigs. If your serious, dive in and prepare to travel a lot.

Edited by WWFChilli

• Paid Members

You wouldn't get more than five minutes anywhere anyway if it's your first time. 

If you're in London, @Guy Bifkin, try booking a spot at one of the Angel comedy shows. Usually it'll be a few months before the spot comes up so it gives you time to work out a decent five minutes at other open mics before doing Angel, which always has a great crowd and is very professional. 

On 1/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, Guy Bifkin said:

Fantastic. I think I can manage 5 minutes. 

Final question for now - does anyone know a good open mic night in London (preferably West/Central) to start? 

One of my very good friends is a stand up and runs his own open mic night. Send me a message and I'll sort you his number/email :)

Oh and Bigger and Blacker by Chris Rock is the greatest stand up show ever...

• 2 months later...