Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Joe Rogan is a pretty shitty stand up. You'd think he was the second coming of Bill Hicks from the way he goes on.

And another one here who thought Tony Hinchcliffe's special was the worst. Thing is, he was all over the usual podcasts at the time going on about how much he KILLED IT, yet it seems to be universally hated.

• Paid Members

It was absolutely awful. I've no idea why Netflix seemed to make so much of the gimmick of it all been done in one shot either. It's a stand-up show, it added absolutely nothing to it at all.

• Paid Members

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Joe Rogan is a pretty shitty stand up. You'd think he was the second coming of Bill Hicks from the way he goes on.

I was disappointed with the latest Rogan special. I've seen him live & he was decent but it was the night before a UK UFC event & the crowd was full of pissed up UFC fans. I loved his earlier show 'Shiny Happy Jihad' but that was a long time ago.

Simon Munnery in a pub in Chorlton?  Yes please!

XS Malarkey?

Spread Eagle is the pub, not sure of the promoter.

EDIT, It's trapdoor https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Manchester/The-Spread-Eagle/Trapdoor-Comedy-present-Simon-Munnery/12943936/

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Simon Munnery in a pub in Chorlton?  Yes please!

XS Malarkey?

Spread Eagle is the pub, not sure of the promoter.

Aaah, OK. Sweet deal. I've only ever seen Munnery once & he had a bad night but I heard his last show in Manc at Gorilla was excellent.

• Awards Moderator

I have to say I think a lot of american stand up's are overrated. Maybe it is a cultural thing? You have people like Seinfeld, Rock, Chappelle who are great, mostly, but I don't find I laugh throughout their routines. CK i think is not the genius he is made out to be either. I have not found many stand up specials on Netflix I have really enjoyed.

As to who I do like, Jimmy Carr, Mickey Flanagan, Doc Brown, Romesh Ranganathan, Joe Lycett, Harry Hill, Tim Vine, Alex Horne. So maybe it is down to my taste as well, i dont know

I'm completely with you there. I watch most US standups stony-faced, unsure what's funny exactly. I watched both the new Chappelle shows this week and just didn't get it. Meanwhile any number of UK standups will slay me. Like Alex Horne ☺

edit - Just remembered Amy Schumer. I think her whole stand up routine is either my Vagina smells jokes or nicked off other comedians. She is the pits

It sounds like it's been universally panned.

Earlier this year, Daniel Kitson released The Impotent Fury of The Privileged, on Bandcamp. Recorded at the Open Air Theatre in Regents Park in 2008. It's only a £5 and all the money is donated to Crisis and Age UK.

https://danielkitson.bandcamp.com/album/the-impotent-fury-of-the-privileged

One of the best stand ups this country has produced.

• Paid Members

I don't really get what US stand-ups are doing that is so markedly different from UK comedians that makes people blanket slate US comedians. Are you sure you guys aren't watching them dubbed into Estonian or something?

I don't really get what US stand-ups are doing that is so markedly different from UK comedians that makes people blanket slate US comedians. Are you sure you guys aren't watching them dubbed into Estonian or something?

I can understand cultural references and social etiquette being a barrier.

• Paid Members

I can understand cultural references and social etiquette being a barrier.

That doesn't seem to be the crux of people's dislike of it a lot of the time though, although I agree that it can often be challenging.