Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members
He was okay but I didn't really see what was special about him.

Plus this was really annoying - "A'RIGHT? A'RIGHT?! A'RIGHT?!"

I can see why that might grate a little but I like how he's so relaxed & makes it all look so effortless, like he's holding court in the pub as opposed to playing in a huge theatre. I've a comedic soft-spot for middle-aged ranty loser characters though so I'm pretty much his target audience.

* Russell Peters - one of the dullest, laziest, shittiest comedians I've ever seen. Yeah, let's have some more pointing at Indians in the audience. Fuck off.

Wait, there's another comedian called fucking Russell? How has this happened? It's not even that common a name these days, I don't think I've ever met a bloke called that in everyday life. I suppose Brand is OK on occasion, but the rest of them are irredeemably shit.

• Paid Members

i went to the Macynlleth comedy fest a few weeks back, saw 4 shows the highlight of which was Nick Helm 'Greatest Hits' thing where he basically played a gig with a band but did some comedy between the tunes, it was awesome.

Also saw Tony Law (odd, i couldn't figure out whether or not the act is that he doesn't have an act or if he was genuinely terribly unprepared, still made me giggle), Loyd Langford (alright but i aint a fan of his delivery, dull as dishwater) & Richard Herring (Dave Gorman-esque presentation type show all about the penis, sounds gay but it was funny as fuck if a little bit too long - terrible pun).

• Paid Members
i went to the Macynlleth comedy fest a few weeks back, saw 4 shows the highlight of which was Nick Helm 'Greatest Hits' thing where he basically played a gig with a band but did some comedy between the tunes, it was awesome.

Also saw Tony Law (odd, i couldn't figure out whether or not the act is that he doesn't have an act or if he was genuinely terribly unprepared, still made me giggle), Loyd Langford (alright but i aint a fan of his delivery, dull as dishwater) & Richard Herring (Dave Gorman-esque presentation type show all about the penis, sounds gay but it was funny as fuck if a little bit too long - terrible pun).

I did a gig where Tony Law headlined in Liverpool. He was really good I thought, an act with no act is his act (if that makes any sense).

I watched some sort of documentary of Eurovision the other night and Russell Kane is fucking awful. He looks terrible now too. Brand got a makeover and it did him wonders but Kane now looks like he has an awful disease of some sort. He also mugs to the camera far too much.

• Paid Members
* Russell Peters - one of the dullest, laziest, shittiest comedians I've ever seen. Yeah, let's have some more pointing at Indians in the audience. Fuck off.

Wait, there's another comedian called fucking Russell? How has this happened? It's not even that common a name these days, I don't think I've ever met a bloke called that in everyday life. I suppose Brand is OK on occasion, but the rest of them are irredeemably shit.

This guy is as shit as the rest of them except Brand - mind you, Brand's stand-up is easily the thing that I like least about him.

Peters is dreadful. One of those comedians I absolutely do not understand the appeal of at all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Some more stand-up I watched recently:-* Amy Schumer - this was fantastic. She's the one who used to go out with Dolph Ziggler. He's got good taste. One of the best shows I've watched for ages.* Pablo Francisco - fucking crap.* John Caparulo - another fat comedian talking about being fat and not being very good.* Daniel Tosh - absolutely fucking awful.* Jim Gaffigan - I definitely really like this guy. He gets about 25 minutes out of material about bacon.* Eddie Izzard: Unrepeatable - meh, I don't really care for his stand-up.* Eddie Murphy - pig ignorance aside, there was some good stuff in Raw and Delirious but they were far from the best stand-up I've ever seen. Great Bill Cosby impression, though. Even though Cosby is actually far better.* Tom Papa - this guy was pretty good. The show was filmed by Rob Zombie for some reason. Probably the best thing he's ever directed.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
Watched the Charlie Sheen roast last night, and Amy Schumer was the best thing going. Better than Jeff Ross, who generally walks away with those things.

Schumer's stand up show, Mostly Sex Stuff, is one of the best that I've seen for ages. She was brilliant.

Simmons is excellent, saw him in Edinburgh in 2011 and thought he was really excellent.

Not feeling the Schumer love myself, shes good but not exceptional in my opinion. Her ex boyfriend, Anthony Jeselnik's album 'Shakespeare' is one of the best albums of all time though, punchline for punchline. Less impressed by his Comedy Central show though, admittedly.

What was Munnery's new show like? Read pretty mixed reviews during the festival! Think he's brilliant, though.

Edited by the flananator