Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Moderators
Just watched Carpet Remnant World. Really very good indeed, but not as good as his last one or 90s Comedian. I liked it very much, though, especially the bit where he talked about the Muslims.

I've got this on my Christmas list. Hoping someone buys it.

Dreading someone in my family is going to do the usual "didn't know who that was so got you this James Corden DVD instead, hope thats alright" thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone recommend a few CDs? I've never really bothered with standup CDs, but I've got a fair bit of driving to do in the next few days and I'm sick of my music.

On a side note, I tried to watch Doug Stanhope's No Refunds show on Netflix the other night. It sent me to sleep. Am I doing it wrong?

• Paid Members
Could anyone recommend a few CDs? I've never really bothered with standup CDs, but I've got a fair bit of driving to do in the next few days and I'm sick of my music.

On a side note, I tried to watch Doug Stanhope's No Refunds show on Netflix the other night. It sent me to sleep. Am I doing it wrong?

Get Dylan Moran's Monster on mp3 and pop it on cd. Very very funny. He's gone shit now, but he was ferocious back then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I downloaded the new Joe Rogan stand up 'Live At The Tabernacle' this weekend. I watched about half of it before switching it off, it was pretty poor & while I really enjoy Rogan's podcast I'm starting to think he's got in a bit of rut just preaching to the converted at his stand-up shows. I liked his 'Shiny Happy Jihad' cd & I saw him the last time he played Manchester but he had an audience of UFC fans who seemed pretty easy to please. He wasn't shit by any means but I think his conversational style appeals more than his written material.

On a more positive note I also watched 2 of Bill Burr's specials on Netflix, I think these are available on both the UK & US service. If you're a fan of Stanhope/Jim Jefferies style of comedy I'd highly recommend Burr's stuff. I love his delivery & whilst not as deliberately shocking as the likes of Stanhope & Jefferies he tackles potentially controversial, well worn subjects with a fresh outlook. I'm a sucker for angry, middle aged blokes venting their frustrations anyway so this was just my cup of tea. Since these have been available on Netflix I've heard a lot of comics talking about Burr (he'd not really been on my radar prior), fingers crossed this introduces him to a new audience & he makes the trip over as I'd love to see him live.

Louis CK is apparently coming over later this year, only London (Wembley Arena) announced so far.

• Paid Members
Hmmm.. I'd love to see Louis CK live, but comedy is really odd in a big venue.

To go or not to go?

I say do it mate. I really dislike comedy in the large arena venues, and have enjoyed sets much more watching them on the DVD afterwards than i did at the time.

That said, if it's a one shot deal and a guy you're into. You can't miss the opportunity. If Dave Chappelle came over here and played Wembley Stadium, i'd go.

• Paid Members

I don't like comedy in big venues but if it were someone I really liked I'd still probably go, just try & get the best seats possible. If you're in the first few rows it doesn't really matter how many people are sitting behind you.

I'll likely get the heads up before Louis CK tickets go on sale so if I get any pre-sale info/links I'll stick them on here (I got front row for Chirs Rock & Chris Tucker ;) ).

• Moderators
I don't like comedy in big venues but if it were someone I really liked I'd still probably go, just try & get the best seats possible. If you're in the first few rows it doesn't really matter how many people are sitting behind you.

Very true... When I think about "big venue comedy" I am reminded of a (I think) Prince's Trust gig I went to at the Royal Albert Hall where I was stood literally as far back as you can possibly be. Like, the guy doing the lighting was in front of me. So far away from the stage!

And also, because it was a big mixed line up Stewart Lee's set didn't exactly go down fantastically as you might expect, so I'm worried about the audience a larger show attracts too. I know this shouldn't realistically be a concern when the audience are all there to see the same act.

• Paid Members

Louis CK is on 20th March & I think it's actually at the O2, not Wembley. No word for sale date or price yet but I believe they're going to be pretty cheap & flat fee for all seats (this is unconfirmed but he did a similar thing in the states), they might have to be tbh as that's a stupidly big room for a comic with very little TV exposure over here.

Very true... When I think about "big venue comedy" I am reminded of a (I think) Prince's Trust gig I went to at the Royal Albert Hall where I was stood literally as far back as you can possibly be. Like, the guy doing the lighting was in front of me. So far away from the stage!

Yeah, when you're that far away it becomes completely impersonal & too detached to fully appreciate it. It's OK for music gigs in big venues but when a part of a performance contains something as slight as a glance or pause to get a laugh it's lost in big rooms. I recently got offered tickets to see Eddie Izzard (who I've never seen) but it was at the Manchester Arena so I passed.

And also, because it was a big mixed line up Stewart Lee's set didn't exactly go down fantastically as you might expect, so I'm worried about the audience a larger show attracts too. I know this shouldn't realistically be a concern when the audience are all there to see the same act.

Audiences for large solo shows are usually the most enthusiastic. They've already decided they like the comedian they're going to see & have pretty much decided it's going to be good before they've sat down. It's certainly easier for the acts as they're playing to their fans.

Personally, I prefer going to mixed bill shows where the audience have bought a ticket for 'comedy' & for the most part either don't know who's on or find out after they've paid. It's more of a test of the comic's worth imo as you'll have a mixed audience, all with different preferences & expectations. When an act comes out & rips it in those circumstances it's a joy to watch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Went to see Nick Helm the other day, that dude must leave the stage with a headache every night. I wouldn't even say there was much of a routine in there, he just seems to randomly scream about whatever hes thinking about at the time...it definitly aint for everyone and it certaibly aint clever, but it was very funny.