Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members
Bumping this one to note the fact that I just watched Doug Stanhope's No Refunds show tonight and it really is one of the very best stand-up performances I have ever seen. Simply fantastic.

I've also been systematically working my way through all of George Carlin's HBO specials on the US Netflix (it's been worth the money for those alone) and his post September 11th show Complaints & Grievances is in a similar bracket to No Refunds. Amazingly good stuff.

Stanhope is the man.

I always prefer Carlin's later material to his older stuff, most people have it the other way around but i love his pissed off old man routine, brilliant.

Any love for Sam Kinison? Id stick him in the same bracket, ott and loud but he was funny as hell.

• Paid Members
Bumping this one to note the fact that I just watched Doug Stanhope's No Refunds show tonight and it really is one of the very best stand-up performances I have ever seen. Simply fantastic.

I've also been systematically working my way through all of George Carlin's HBO specials on the US Netflix (it's been worth the money for those alone) and his post September 11th show Complaints & Grievances is in a similar bracket to No Refunds. Amazingly good stuff.

Stanhope is the man.

I always prefer Carlin's later material to his older stuff, most people have it the other way around but i love his pissed off old man routine, brilliant.

I think Carlin is probably best known for his later stuff when it became a lot more political, really. I do prefer his later comedy simply because you do usually get a lovely mix of the political stuff as well as some of his earlier, sillier stuff.

Go to see Simon Amstell on your own. Seriously.

He was absolutely excellent when I went to see him. My favourite stand-up. I saw him just after he left NMTB, and a lot of people were expecting an acerbic-but-traditional comedy show with gags about shitty, B-list celebrity. There were a few perfunctory gags about how much he hated celebrity, but really it was a clever, self-depricating deconstruction of a young man who struggled being gay in a deeply Jewish family. It wasn't traditionally structured, there weren't shoehorned in pauses whilst he waited for applause, it was just a really open, vulnerable guy tearing himself apart and just happening to be really funny.

It was fucking brilliant.

Though, the people who were expecting something didn't come back for the second half.

Yeah, I went to the Manchester gig on the Do Nothing tour and it's one of my absolute favourite stand-up shows. It was magnificent. So I'm really hoping to get to the one on the 29th, but by the time everything gets booked off from work, tickets might be gone. There'll be a DVD of this show out by Christmas anyway.

• Paid Members

George Carlin is the stuff of legend. Certainly makes me feel better after a shit day.

Not to everyone's tastes but I'm off to see Roy Chubby Brown next week.

Looking at purchasing John Cleeses DVD too. Was that any good?

getting to work the bar at Ardal O'Hanlon tomorrow night, I'm hoping we're only serving during before/intermissions/after so i can watch but if not ah well. I'm sure he'll still be cracking though! Anyone a fan?

Edited by Cobra1000

• Paid Members

Bumping this one to note the fact that I just watched Doug Stanhope's No Refunds show tonight and it really is one of the very best stand-up performances I have ever seen. Simply fantastic.I've also been systematically working my way through all of George Carlin's HBO specials on the US Netflix (it's been worth the money for those alone) and his post September 11th show Complaints & Grievances is in a similar bracket to No Refunds. Amazingly good stuff.

Stanhope is the man.I always prefer Carlin's later material to his older stuff, most people have it the other way around but i love his pissed off old man routine, brilliant.
I think Carlin is probably best known for his later stuff when it became a lot more political, really. I do prefer his later comedy simply because you do usually get a lovely mix of the political stuff as well as some of his earlier, sillier stuff.
I feel the extra spark of Carlin's later stuff was down to the general world view he arrived at in his later years. He's mentioned in interviews that he used to get too angry when talking about politics, but the greatest relief he felt was when he realised he was finally too old to truly have a stake in the outcome of the world, and he could just "sit back and enjoy the freakshow". I think this perspective made him a truly unparalleled social commentator as he could very literally view society from the outside and make those hard-to-see, sometimes unpleasant and unwanted connections, and just laugh at the absurdity of the world.Yeah, I've got a bit of a man-crush on Carlin.

Tony Law for me - Although I would go with 'An hour and a bit of' rather than 'Brainporium', where he skates a very thin line between dying on his arse and making it through...I hate to admit it, and I am eternally shamed, but I just dont get it Louis CK. Loads of people whose opinion I respect rave about him, but it just does not tickle me.Rediscovered Steven Wright recently, but Doug Stanhope and Daniel Kitson are climbing the charts too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Okay, Deadbeat Hero is even better. This guy is pretty fucking good.

Bit of a tangent but does anyone know where I can get any Daniel Kitson shows as audio or (very long shot) video files? There's links to two or three free shows/podcasts on his site, but apart from that I can't get hold of much in the way of complete shows, which is kinda infuriating since he's a) so amazing and b) so prolific.

• Paid Members

Bit of a tangent but does anyone know where I can get any Daniel Kitson shows as audio or (very long shot) video files? There's links to two or three free shows/podcasts on his site, but apart from that I can't get hold of much in the way of complete shows, which is kinda infuriating since he's a) so amazing and b) so prolific.

I found a torrent on isohunt that had a few of his shows in mp3 form, as well as his forays into radio, just search for his name on there.

I found a torrent on isohunt that had a few of his shows in mp3 form, as well as his forays into radio, just search for his name on there.
I found some on Soulseek - Hull University (Superb), and a Edinburgh warm up show (As good but sound quality not so good) - just search his name on there.

I'm tempted to go see Simon Amstell in London next month. Not too keen on going by myself. I did go to see Lee Evans and Russell Brand by myself, but have found seeing comedy with other people makes it much more enjoyable. I will see if I can find a companion.I'm also going to see Rhys Darby in July. Can't wait for that.

I'm tempted to go see Simon Amstell in London next month. Not too keen on going by myself. I did go to see Lee Evans and Russell Brand by myself, but have found seeing comedy with other people makes it much more enjoyable. I will see if I can find a companion.

I've realised I've probably booked the wrong day off work for the Amstell Liverpool show. Got to try and get it changed tomorrow if so. Otherwise I'll be going up to him at a party somewhere going "I QUIT A JOB TO COME TO YOUR SHOW, ISN'T THAT MAD?"