Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Bumping this one to note the fact that I just watched Doug Stanhope's No Refunds show tonight and it really is one of the very best stand-up performances I have ever seen. Simply fantastic.

I've also been systematically working my way through all of George Carlin's HBO specials on the US Netflix (it's been worth the money for those alone) and his post September 11th show Complaints & Grievances is in a similar bracket to No Refunds. Amazingly good stuff.

Bumping this one to note the fact that I just watched Doug Stanhope's No Refunds show tonight and it really is one of the very best stand-up performances I have ever seen. Simply fantastic.

I've also been systematically working my way through all of George Carlin's HBO specials on the US Netflix (it's been worth the money for those alone) and his post September 11th show Complaints & Grievances is in a similar bracket to No Refunds. Amazingly good stuff.

I love Stanhope's No Refunds show. Have you seen/listened to his most recent show "Before Turning the Gun on Himself"? After the rather bland disappointment that was his Oslo show, this is a complete return to form and might be his finest album yet.

I keep meaning to get hold of a load of George Carlin's specials. A friend gave me some albums of his and I've really enjoyed them, but there's something that bit better about seeing the on-stage performance.

Saw Henning Wehn on Wednesday as part of the comedy festival in Leeds. Got cheaper seats thanks to the German society at uni thinking it would be a fun night out. Really enjoyed his stand-up, but I think a few people were expecting something a bit different. His humour isn't for everyone and there are a few times when he cuts a bit close to the bone, but that works for me.

Go to see Simon Amstell on your own. Seriously.

He was absolutely excellent when I went to see him. My favourite stand-up. I saw him just after he left NMTB, and a lot of people were expecting an acerbic-but-traditional comedy show with gags about shitty, B-list celebrity. There were a few perfunctory gags about how much he hated celebrity, but really it was a clever, self-depricating deconstruction of a young man who struggled being gay in a deeply Jewish family. It wasn't traditionally structured, there weren't shoehorned in pauses whilst he waited for applause, it was just a really open, vulnerable guy tearing himself apart and just happening to be really funny.

It was fucking brilliant.

Though, the people who were expecting something didn't come back for the second half.

Is Jeff Dunham any good?

Ive heard he uses puppetts for his standup routine.

Depends on what you like. I don't find him offensively bad but I won't part with any money to see him. Especially the money wembley arena are charging. Basically he has these puppets and talks to them, ones an old git, ones a dead terrorist, ones purple and ones a mexican plunger. One or two jokes make me laugh but I don't think he's worth the credit he seems to get.

Was quite surprised when I really found myself liking Rufus Hound's first stand up show. Don't really rate him in anything else I have seen him in bar Celebrity Juice but I thought he was great in this.

Any one else seen it ? It was on Comedy Central a few times early in the year.

Is Jeff Dunham any good?

Ive heard he uses puppetts for his standup routine.

Depends on what you like. I don't find him offensively bad but I won't part with any money to see him. Especially the money wembley arena are charging. Basically he has these puppets and talks to them, ones an old git, ones a dead terrorist, ones purple and ones a mexican plunger. One or two jokes make me laugh but I don't think he's worth the credit he seems to get.

This pretty much sums him up for me. It also didn't help that his dead terrorist went viral when I was in school, resulting in what seemed like absolutely everyone quoting the shit out of it.