Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

I really like Josie Long and I usually leave her shows feeling happy and inspired, which is a good thing. But I saw her new show the other night and I wasn't massively impressed. It's a lot of what you'd expect from her - "I hate the Tories so much!" but with effusive, infectious, girlish personality - but this time it's actually a bit light on jokes. As I left I heard a lot of people sounding very satisfied, so maybe I'm slightly harsh, but I'd say it's definitely her worst show for a few years.

That all said, as noted by others, you can't really go wrong for free, can you? I may think it's her worst show in years, but if it's your first exposure to her, maybe you're less likely to be disappointed. Unless you're an ardent Conservative - in that case there's a 95% chance you'll loathe her.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just watched Word Of Mouth by Doug Stanhope. I think it's the best stand-up comedy show I've ever seen. Absolutely brilliant.

Has anyone seen The Austin Incident?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfAVDuVUMzo

So, someone has the good idea to have Alex Jones open for Stanhope, he goes on a long political rant, the crowd is practically brawling between themselves, and then on steps Stanhope. Talk about throwing fuel on the fucking fire. Absolutely amazing. Stanhope is a brilliant ad-lib comedian, too.

• Paid Members
I love him. Went to see him earlier in the year and had a blast. He opened with a brilliant 15 minute routine about him trying to wank off to One Night In Chyna in his hotel room the night before.

Same here. His NFL fantasy was just as priceless.

I love him. Went to see him earlier in the year and had a blast. He opened with a brilliant 15 minute routine about him trying to wank off to One Night In Chyna in his hotel room the night before.

Same here. His NFL fantasy was just as priceless.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that! I was pretty inebriated by that point in the evening.

• Paid Members

Just watched Carpet Remnant World. Really very good indeed, but not as good as his last one or 90s Comedian. I liked it very much, though, especially the bit where he talked about the Muslims.

• Paid Members

The Stew thread's here, if that's what you were looking for. I loved Carpet Remnant World live. It felt a bit disjointed in places, but that was largely the point, and the way it all tied together so perfectly at the end had me more convinced of his genius than ever.

• Paid Members
One of my favourite 'older' sets I just found up on Youtube

Yeah, I'm going to watch some David Cross in the next few days.

Watched some Sarah Silverman last night. Meh. And some Ralphie May. He was shit.

• Paid Members
Gladders, was it the one with the 'Cat AIDS' gag in it? If so, completely agree. Was really looking forward to it, but it was basically an hour or so of 'I'm gay, and going to talk about it quite a lot just so you're entirely clear about it'.

That's the one. I'm sure there's something in this 'using stand-up comedy as therapy' thing but when your material amounts to nothing more than 'I'm crap at chatting blokes up and a bit shy' then I'm going to turn it off and watch Richard Pryor instead. Boring crap.

• Paid Members

Whats you're favourite Pryor show? When i've had that conversation in the past, Live at the Sunset Strip seems to be the one that comes up most often, but i think i prefer Here and Now.

The Africa material, Jim Brown's attempts to get him off drugs and a clinic in how to deal with hecklers, it's beautiful.

On another note, what do people think of Dave Chappelle's stand up material? His show had a bit of a cult following, but I prefer his live material. There's something about actors doing stand up that gives them a real edge in the way they can sell their material, and Chappelle does it wonderfully.