Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

Just watched the James Franco roast, I usually enjoy these roasts and I was looking forward to this one as he seemed like an unusual subject for one, despite this though it was very similar to previous roasts. It's hosted by Seth Rogen and features Jonah Hill, Andy Samberg, Sarah Silverman, Aziz Anzari, Bill Hader, Nick Kroll, Natasha Leggero and of course Jeff Ross. I laughed out loud several times despite watching it alone which is a good sign. Bill Hader and Andy Samberg did bits in character, Andy kind of bombed but was ok and Bill Hader was a bit better but I preferred the traditional straightforward insulting routines and some of the jokes were vicious in this one. I've never heard of Natasha Leggero but she was the funniest person on it, she was so cutting, definitely worth a watch if you enjoy these at all.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members
Might go and see Jeremy Hardy next month actually. Anyone seen him recently?

Last time I saw him was a couple of years ago but my folks saw him on his last tour & enjoyed it. He's pretty much in the Mark Thomas/Rob Newman category of preaching to the converted now although I'd say a bit funnier (whilst Mark Thomas' stuff is very worthy I question how funny it actually is). I imagine you already know what to expect so I doubt you'll be disappointed.

• Paid Members

I've watched a bunch recently:-

Jim Breuer - Fucking shite, absolutely hated him.

Gary Gulman - Not too bad, reckon he probably has better material in him but I quite enjoyed him.

Kathleen Madigan - Her new one isn't as good as Gone Madigan but she's still pretty awesome. Good show, this.

Josh Blue - This guy was GREAT. He's a cerebral palsy sufferer and his comedy is not just based around that. He was really funny although it was off-putting that he looked like the lead singer of The Spin Doctors.

Iliza Shlesinger - This wasn't very good but I reckon she could go on and become pretty decent. She's stunning as well.

Mike Birbiglia - I really, really like this guy. His comedy is almost quite touching in a way, really personal stuff. Again, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend wasn't as good as What I Should Have Said Was.... but I really enjoyed it.

Doug Stanhope - Beer Hall Putsch might be the weakest of his proper American specials but once again it was brilliant. The bits about helping his mum's suicide and Jake LaMotta were amazing.

Eddie Griffin - Fucking crap.

Colin Quinn - What a cracking show this was. I only watched this because Netflix kept recommending it to me. Really great stuff.

Rob Delaney - Can't see what all the fuss is about him although I thought he was okay. Nothing special, though.

• Paid Members
Mike Birbiglia - I really, really like this guy. His comedy is almost quite touching in a way, really personal stuff. Again, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend wasn't as good as What I Should Have Said Was.... but I really enjoyed it.

He did a film last year called Sleepwalk With Me that I keep meaning to getting around to see, might be up your street Gladders.

• Paid Members

Yes, I've noticed it on Netflix, gmoney, I'm definitely going to get round to that as soon as possible. He's really good. Cheers for reminding me!

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Anyone catch Dave Gorman's new show on Dave the other night, 'Modern Life Is Goodish'.

I'm enjoying that. Been a big fan since "Are You Dave Gorman?", would love to see him live.

Same here. Always wanted to get hold of a copy of that series, but can't seem to find a torrent of it anywhere and with it being as old as it is now I doubt I ever will.

I've missed the start of this new series, only just caught ep4 ('He's A Prince, Not An Estate Agent') and gutted I've missed the others. Hopefully it will get some kind of repeat at somepoint.

Going to revisit Googlewhack Adventure a little later

• Awards Moderator
Anyone catch Dave Gorman's new show on Dave the other night, 'Modern Life Is Goodish'.

I'm enjoying that. Been a big fan since "Are You Dave Gorman?", would love to see him live.

Same here.

Seen him a couple of times. It's very much in the Modern Life is Goodish style, gets surprisingly sweary off-TV too.

Always wanted to get hold of a copy of that series, but can't seem to find a torrent of it anywhere and with it being as old as it is now I doubt I ever will.

Very hard to find at a reasonable price. The astrological experiment was the better TV show though.

Same here.

Seen him a couple of times. It's very much in the Modern Life is Goodish style, gets surprisingly sweary off-TV too.

Always wanted to get hold of a copy of that series, but can't seem to find a torrent of it anywhere and with it being as old as it is now I doubt I ever will.

Very hard to find at a reasonable price. The astrological experiment was the better TV show though.

I've always wondered about writing to the BBC to see if its possible to get hold of copies of it through the archive or whatever. Not sure exactly how to go about it though as I would assume they would only send copies for something like research purposes