Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

The most recent Bill Burr special is edited really badly. There's a disconnect which really affects the rhythm of it. His bit about cruise ships is still genius but watching the special after seeing it live was a world apart. The first Tom Segura special on Netflix (Completely Normal) is probably my favourite out of what I’ve seen on there.

• Paid Members

Indeed. I went to see him last year at the Fringe and his material from his latest special flowed far better that night. Something about the Netflix special seemed a bit off - I think Dead Mike nailed it. His previous couple are wall to wall killers.

The intro to Jim Norton's latest special is really good. He's similar to Rogan, in that his radio work is superior to his usually average stand up, but his latest is maybe the best you can hope for out of little Jimmy Norton.

I really enjoyed Joe DeRosa live last summer too. I hadn't checked out his stand up and only knew him from the O&A show back in the day, but I was surprised at how accomplished his set was. Granted, I think out of the 10 people that bothered to turn up that night, 3 found him hilarious (including me).

• Paid Members

I have to say I think a lot of american stand up's are overrated. Maybe it is a cultural thing? You have people like Seinfeld, Rock, Chappelle who are great, mostly, but I don't find I laugh throughout their routines. CK i think is not the genius he is made out to be either. I have not found many stand up specials on Netflix I have really enjoyed.

As to who I do like, Jimmy Carr, Mickey Flanagan, Doc Brown, Romesh Ranganathan, Joe Lycett, Harry Hill, Tim Vine, Alex Horne. So maybe it is down to my taste as well, i dont know

edit - Just remembered Amy Schumer. I think her whole stand up routine is either my Vagina smells jokes or nicked off other comedians. She is the pits

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

I would recommend Colin Quinn as well, I think he has a couple of specials on there, both are really good. He's great in Trainwreck too.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I didn't notice he had anything on there; nice! I saw him do a short set as part of a full bill when I went to new York last year and he was very good.

Did you go to the Comedy Cellar? Can you remember who else you saw?

• Paid Members

Yeah. I also saw Michael Che, Judah Friedlander, and some others whose names I forget.

It was a really cool and different way to experience a comedy show compared to how it is over here.

Interesting, how did you find it different?

We went to another club in NYC (Cellar was sold out) & found it good but a bit of a battle. This club had about 2 dozen acts all doing varying lengths of sets. We left before the end (didn't realise you weren't expected to battle through it all) but saw a couple of acts I'd heard of (Greer Barnes & Rick Shapiro) & the standard was generally pretty high.

I thought the Cellar was more like a Glee/Comedy Store gig over here with an MC & 4 acts all doing about 20 mins?

• Paid Members

Trevor Noah's is brilliant.

I think he has at least two on Netflix. Also, I heartily endorse his audiobook about his childhood.

It was Afraid of the Dark I watched. Will have a look for his other(s) if he does have more on there. Only seem him a couple of times on panel shows but really enjoyed him when I have watched him.

Katherine Ryan is good too.

I adore Katherine Ryan, but I didn't think the Netflix special was the best show of hers that I've seen.

Yeah, I thought my opinion would be tainted  :love: