Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

I don't really get what US stand-ups are doing that is so markedly different from UK comedians that makes people blanket slate US comedians. Are you sure you guys aren't watching them dubbed into Estonian or something?

I can understand cultural references and social etiquette being a barrier.

That doesn't seem to be the crux of people's dislike of it a lot of the time though, although I agree that it can often be challenging.

I do agree, it was like my dad dismissing comedy shows as yankee bollocks.

My girlfriend slates all US comedies, which is fine because it gives me freedom to veto her attempts to force me to watch Sex and the City 2, a comedy so bad that a person who hates American comedies doesn't even realise it's a comedy.

Anyway, she's a sleep so which of the Chappelle specials is the better?

• Paid Members

Simon Munnery in a pub in Chorlton?  Yes please!

Saw him at the Buzz in Chorlton in the early 90's. Were you a Chorltonite then? It was an Incredible comedy night which had all the British stars of the future.

• Paid Members

My girlfriend slates all US comedies, which is fine because it gives me freedom to veto her attempts to force me to watch Sex and the City 2, a comedy so bad that a person who hates American comedies doesn't even realise it's a comedy.

I preferred the Texas one but they're both pretty much as good as each other.

• Awards Moderator

Download season 2 of the podcast 'The Worst Idea Of All Time', where two stand ups from New Zealand watch Sex And The City 2 every week for a year. The film is so terrible but listening to the podcast made me want to watch it and find out just how bad (answer: really, really bad. And so long! So long...) as well as spot all the in-jokes the two guys had chatted about over the course of the year that make the watch more bearable.

Finally got round to watching The Age Of Spin and I'm gutted how shit it was, I loved For What It's Worth & Killin Em Softly ( Must have have watched them at least 20 times each) but this just fell flat for me and wasn't the Chappelle I loved unfortunately

Guess it's a waste of time watching the other special if this is the better of the 2?

Simon Munnery was fantastic last night.  First time I've attended a Trapdoor event and really enjoyed it.  The first act were Jolly Boat and I winced when I saw them taking the stage with guitar in hand.  Thought they were shit.  One guy was on called Simon Lomas and I thought he was brilliant too.  All in all a cracking night, will have to attend more comedy events like this.