Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

When you consider very few stand ups do an hours worth of new material a year, Dave was producing almost 6-8 hours per series. A massive amount really and must have been hard work for sure

Very few? Apart from every comedian doing a show at the Edinburgh fringe you mean? 

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Very few? Apart from every comedian doing a show at the Edinburgh fringe you mean? 

1) not every comedian does the fringe every year, especially mainstream ones

2) They don’t do an 1-2 hours. Most fringe shows are less then that.

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

Correct, most Fringe shows are actually 50-55mins, however a lot more material is written to whittle down to that run time. Many acts do play the show every year, those that don't often do small solo tours (alongside circuit shows) on the years off (which still requires them to be writing new material). There's more comedians touring solo shows now than there's ever been. Most acts that are in the postion to do this (play the fringe repeated and/or tour) are 'mainstream'. There aren't many truly 'alternative' comedians working, the market has changed significantly & there's little public appetite for 'alternative' acts.

EDIT - Just seen that you threw a wobbly & announced your departure so you absolutely won't be replying. Shame.

Edited by Dead Mike

• Paid Members
On 13/01/2018 at 1:24 PM, Onyx2 said:

I loved Vic and Bob's special, though it was heavy with nostalgia for the C4 show. 

Got tickets for Dave Gorman and Dara O'Briain in Southend this year. 

I wish I'd been quicker on the ball with the Dave Gorman dates.

I think I read somewhere they were doing a new series of Big Night Out on the BBC later in the year. I still need to watch the Frankie Boyle special as well, which is probably going to be as close to a 2017Wipe as we're going to get.

• Paid Members

Started watching the new collection of Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix today. It's really easy to watch. I remember seeing the first lot on the Crackle app about 5 years ago.

• Paid Members

Comedians In Cars is a bit of a mixed bag. Honestly, it's probably the least interesting version of Seinfeld, in terms of jokes, given the pace of the show, but when he's got a good guest on it can be decent enough. It's definitely an easy watch, but that's maybe part of the issue - a bit too breezy.

Also, finally watched Vic & Bob's Big Night Out. I really enjoyed it, but I'm a complete sucker when it comes to those two. It was an interesting blend of new stuff and greatest hits. Bob's constant struggle with his toupee is wonderful.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

With Comedians in Cars it's easy to tell who's a good guest and who's not. If it's a really short episode then they were probably shit.

The Alec Baldwin, Carl Reiner / Mel Brooks and Larry David episodes are absolute musts, as is the Barack Obama one. Gad Elmaleh was pretty good too.

Has anyone tried stand up comedy?

It's midlife crisis territory but I think I want to have a go. I am a pretty poor joke teller but I do get told a lot that I should try it. I think if I get on a topic I know well and have thought about a great deal I can be pretty funny in general conversation. I used to be hung up about speaking in front of large crowds but I do it quite a lot for work now and although I'm always convinced I'm rubbish other people say I'm very good at it. I do always throw in a few gags to these speeches that nearly always go down well. 

Whilst that's not quite how I imagine Richard Pryor started out, in my deluded mind that's enough to work with. Where to begin though? Should I just work out a short routine and bowl up at an open mic night? Are there any good books, courses or websites about that offer advice?

I'm the same as you, Guy, I can tell a joke and can be charismatic.  When I used to play music I'd always be joking and getting good laughs but I don't think I've got the bottle to actually get up on stage.  I've been to loads of comedy nights and seen many a shit comedian, I may be funnier than them but they are doing it on stage so fair play to them.

I've done it for 7 years. It's one of those things that stops being terrifying the more you do it.

In terms of courses I didn't do one but a lot of people do find them useful. In terms of good ones I guess it depends on where abouts you live? And they'll organise a big showcase when you graduate which is infinitely nicer than rocking up to an open mic of what will largely be other comedians.