Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

saw Kevin Bridges last :laugh: night, i don't think he says anything particularly funny, it's more that he says in a strong scottish accent, he had me cracking up throughout...the accent is abit of a deterrent because at times i cant understand what he says, as a result a couple of the jokes fell flat (on the entire audience) and Bridges did a good job of making light of the fact that a joke didn't work. Highlight of the night was probably the audience questions bit at the end, made a cracking reference to being sacked as manager of Swindon Town on Championship Manager when he was asked about the Scottish Football management job.

...the warmup Damian Clark was really good too.

Also saw Steve Hughes the other night, he's one of those guys that treads the line between telling jokes and just going on rants about shit he hates, he's also a bit of a conspiracy nut and would go off on tangeants at times.

Both good nights out.

• Paid Members

I'm going to see Jack Dee on the 17th with the girlfriend, my sister and her fella.

It's the first tour he's done since 2005 so I hope it's good. No doubt my sister's boyfriend will be doing his best to be more miserable than Dee though. And he's not getting paid for it.

• Paid Members
I'm going to see Jack Dee on the 17th with the girlfriend, my sister and her fella.

It's the first tour he's done since 2005 so I hope it's good. No doubt my sister's boyfriend will be doing his best to be more miserable than Dee though. And he's not getting paid for it.

I went to his show on Sunday and he's not as miserable as you might expect! It was really good and it feels more like he's just chatting to you as a mate rather than being a stand up. Good show.

• Paid Members
Don't think you'd enjoy it to be honest. However, if it's free, you might get your moneys worth.

Because they're shit or specifically because of me for some reason? I'm really not much of one for live standup at the best of times (much more of a live music guy) so I might give it a miss

• Paid Members
Ah, sorry. I meant going by your posts on here, I doubt it would be your kind of humour.

I thought that's what you meant, just didn't realise I'd put that much of my personality across on here that people could tell which comedy I'd like or not. You're probably right though

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members

Live at the Apollo and stuff does nothing for me, my idea of a nightmare night out would be seeing a household name comedian playing in a massive venue, I prefer more natural feeling comedy than super rehearsed routines. (Except Stewart Lee, I'd go and see him)

I did watch

to help me decide whether to go or not and I think Houchen was right about me - It was horrendous, I came nowhere near cracking a smile, if I had already been laughing about something else watching this video would've made me stop.

I always want to like Josie Long because she looked lovely on that Charlie Brooker gameshow thing and she did something once that I liked but have forgotten. But her mongol hippy persona doesn't work for me most of the time, and an insufferable div I know loves her, which puts me right off.

One thing I've right gone off in stand-up is when a comic just picks the name of a nearby town and insults it, and tailors their years-old material to it. "This happened to me today in St Helens." Really? Because according to a youtube clip, it happened to you in Wolverhampton in 2009 as well. It's comedy's cheap pop. I understand why they do it, but I despise it. I especially hate it when done by a comedian who people have actually paid specifically to see, rather than a random jobbing comic on a comedy club night.

Every Christmas I look forward to the new stand-up DVDs coming out, but this year isn't a great selection.

Edited by King Pitcos