Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

He's stuff is pretty one dimensional but you can say the same about lots of mainstream acts, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Pretty much every comedian can be reduced to a one trick pony, if you really want to. Especially Stewart Lee, hence his recent dismay at young comics stealing his gimmick.

Didnt he piss off Stewart Lee a while ago something about Comedian's once they hit 40 they lose their anger.

I don't know if it pissed him off, but it certainly annoyed me a bit. If it wasn't for the fact that the trial and error, honing the craft process that goes on before that point is part of what makes top comedians so brilliant as they hit middle-age, I'd flip the suggestion and ban comics under 40. At least that would stem the incessant flow of wacky, crowd-pleasing student cunts in big hair and ironic t-shirts who only went into comedy because they couldn't get a spot in Razorlight that make up your average panel show cast these days.

Edited by Magnum

Louis CK has only been mentioned ONCE in this single thread, which is a disgrace. If anyone's looking for something a little bit more unique than the usual "toasters, what are they all about" shite on the tv at the moment, I would recommend Hans Teeuwen, who's entire stand up set can be found on youtube, the first part being this:

Then there's Jon Glaser, here's a link for that: Part 1:

Part 2:

• Paid Members

Comedy's Top Earners

No real surprises at the top spots. I'd be more interested to see how the 'middle tier' theatre acts are doing? People like Stephen K Amos, Omid Djalili, Kevin Bridges et al. From what I read this article only concentrates on tour & DVD revenue whereas there's also a lot of cash made hosting corporate awards & the suchlike.

• Paid Members

If I've got them the right way round Delirious is better. I've not seen it in a while so I'm not sure how it's aged? I think it's Delirious that has some horribly dated AIDS material. I'm sure Eddie Murphy did some stand-up a couple of years ago, unannounced at a club just to get back up there but I remember reading that it didn't go well & that was the end of that.

• Moderators

I think that sounds about right from what I know - I know Eddie blocked a DVD release of Delirious at one point because he just wasn't comfortable with some of the stuff he said back then.

On this note though - although not real stand-up, Nutty Professor was on TV a few weeks back and I caught a chunk of it, including both the comedy club scenes with him and Dave Chappelle. It was great - really silly and childish and far from being Eddie at his best, but I was laughing my ass off.

The film as a whole - not so great. Got bored of that after a while..

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I've seen RAW a million times, but I've still never seen Delirious. How does it compare?

Delirious is good, but not a patch on Raw. That maybe because I saw Raw years before I got a chance to watch Delirious, I don't know. What amazes me with Raw is that yes, some of the jokes are quite dated, but I still laugh at it. I re-watch a lot of stand up shows that I enjoy, but most don't make me laugh anymore (which doesn't detract from the enjoyment). But Raw, I find I'm laughing before the punchline.

On a similar vain, my second favorite stand up performance was Richard Pryor 'Live In Concert'. Just utter brilliance.

• Paid Members
Yeah, of course. Classic. I could do with rewatching it, although I'm glad people don't still go about saying "I'm Rick James, bitch" all the time, because that got annoying for a while.

I've not seen it in years, I can only remember certain skits that had me in creases. Samuel L Adams beer being one & another when the crackhead character he played was giving a drug awareness speech in a primary school. Wish I'd downloaded all these before Fileserve went tits up.