Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members
Many years ago I saw a late night adult weekend and one thing that did interest me was Dennis Leary live. Was one of the funniest Live shows I had seen. At the moment ive taken a liking to being a frankie Boyle fan his jokes are off the wall something I havent seen in years since Chubby's first show I saw. Are their any comedians that are as good as Frankie?

Open for Business

floodgate.jpg

• Paid Members
Also on the retro front, Dave Allen, my favourite stand-up comedian.

Yeah Dave Allen was brilliant, such a good stand up he sat down. I first saw him when I was in my teens and my uncle put an old video of him on. I thought "Who's this old fart? He's meant to be funny? He looks like a supply teacher". But I was pissing myself within minutes.

Up until then I thought older comedy was shit, without even watching it. That Dave Allen video made me look through my uncle's comedy collection and I soon realized what I was missing when I whacked in some of his old Tommy Cooper, Richard Pryor and Les Dawson stuff.

For newer comedians I like Lee Mack, Bill Bailey and Dave Gorman mostly. Frank Skinner early stand up stuff is really good aswell.

• Paid Members
Many years ago I saw a late night adult weekend and one thing that did interest me was Dennis Leary live. Was one of the funniest Live shows I had seen. At the moment ive taken a liking to being a frankie Boyle fan his jokes are off the wall something I havent seen in years since Chubby's first show I saw. Are their any comedians that are as good as Frankie?

He experienced a bit of a backlash last year after being overexposed on TV & a lot of middle-Englander's suddenly deciding that some of his gags were distasteful but Frankie Boyle's a tremendous act. I've seen him about 7/8 times & I've never seen him do anything other than smash it. Obviously at his own tour shows it doesn't really count as everyone there is already a fan but I've seen him at several normal, mixed bill shows where people had bought a ticket without knowing who was on & Frankie was untouchable every time. I'd recommend checking out Jim Jeffries, David Longley, Gary Delaney & Martin Mor if you want something a bit darker/near the knuckle.

Here's the joke in question:

"Jordan and Peter Andre are still fighting each other over custody of Harvey - eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him." Then adding "I have a theory about the reason Jordan married a cage fighter - she needed a man strong enough to stop Harvey from f***ing her!"

Now, that's nothing to do with "middle England" being over sensitive, is it? There's usually some humour to be found in Boyle's more controversial jokes, that one doesn't.

Yes, some of us find him picking on a disabled child unfunny, some of us do.

Tramadol Nights has been cancelled, his next program on Channel 4 has been cancelled before airing and of course once he reaches 40 at the end of this year he'll be retiring his stand up tours, since very few comedians are funny after 40, according to him.

• Paid Members

Exactly, everyone knows what they're getting. He makes jokes about a lot of sick subjects & celebrities, incredibly harsh gags at the expense of other celebrities misfortune. If people don't want to hear it then don't go to the show or by the DVD. If Jimmy Cricket had said it I'd be shocked. I don't particularly care for Chubby Brown & Jim Davidson's brand of humour but they're free to perform each year, to dwindling audiences.

Personally I didn't care much for Tramadol Nights, there was some good stuff in there but the bad far outweighed the good. Truth is, after he got booted form the BBC Channel 4 gave him a shit load of cash to make a series & near full creative control. Him & Tom Stade just wanted to make something mental & I honestly don't believe he cared what people thought. He's absolutely minted anyway, he'll never need to work again unless he wants to & if he announced a tour next year it'd sell out.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with something there. I have no problem with Boyle or his stand up but Tramadol Nights was the most self indulgent crap fest I have ever seen in my life. There was no good stuff. It felt like it was written and directed by an 11 year old sex pest.

• Paid Members

He was found out very quickly, let's face it.

As a guest on panel shows in small soundbites, he really was pretty funny. But his stand-up is absolutely awful - completely disjointed with no flow at all and not in the slightest bit funny. And the less said about Tramadol Nights, the better. He's clearly sharp with an ad-lib but outside of that he really has nothing to offer.

• Paid Members

For me, someone being funny has nothing to do with "oh, he's controversial". Being a bit naughty doesn't equal in hilarity. Thats why Howard Stern is Howard Stern and Bubba The Love Sponge is still Bubba The Love Sponge. A few shocking gags on panel shows is all well and good, but I watched Tramadol Nights and found it fucking dreadful. Boyle is now "the bloke who tells shocking jokes", because everything else he does doesnt match up. He's basically Chubby Brown now.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

Tramadol Nights has been cancelled, his next program on Channel 4 has been cancelled before airing and of course once he reaches 40 at the end of this year he'll be retiring his stand up tours, since very few comedians are funny after 40, according to him.

Didnt he piss off Stewart Lee a while ago something about Comedian's once they hit 40 they lose their anger.

• Paid Members

His stand up is far from awful, it might not be to your taste but to say he's awful is really far from the mark. Yes, his delivery is disjointed & it's basically just one-liner statements but to do what he's done is very, very difficult. As I mentioned before, I've seen Frankie Boyle play in front of 400 people who didn't know he was going to be on & absolutely rip it on more than one occasion. To be able to consistently win over audiences with material like his is incredibly hard, the circuit is full of new, open spot acts doing edgy/sick gags to awful reponses because they don't have the conviction & persona to pull it off. You can count on one hand the acts that can do the really dark stuff successfully.

Saying he got 'found out very quickly' implies that there was something disingenuous about his comedy? He's had a 10 year+ stand up career, come out a millionaire with a massive fan base, held in high regard amongst his peers & has done it all basically on his terms. A lot of people would be happy with that.

• Paid Members
Saying he got 'found out very quickly' implies that there was something disingenuous about his comedy?

I never said that at all - but the desperation of some of the gags he's come out with not to mention the fact that he called his book My Shit Life So Far suggests to me that either he's trying too hard and / or rather putting it on.

What I meant is that doing guest slots on HIGNFY and the like is that he was widely liked. The more exposure he got, the more his act was exposed and he is basically a one trick pony.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members

We'll have to agree to disagree as you can say he got 'exposed' as a 'one trick pony' or that he was previously 'more widely liked' on but nothing backs this up as he quit/went on hiatus at the peak of his popularity with nothing to suggest this demand was on the wain. He's stuff is pretty one dimensional but you can say the same about lots of mainstream acts, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway..this thread should have some links. Some of my favourites -