Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members

A mixture of songs & material. Did some stuff about hating his neighbours & some material about E'Burgh. I've seen him do the stuff about killing his girlfriend though that last time I saw him. I really liked it, the audience at the gig didn't though unfortunately.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/10/26/1.../a_rotten_trick

On a seperate note. Stanhope pretends to be Jonny Rotten when a US radio show rang him for an interview by mistake.

Edited by Dead Mike

• Paid Members

I just watched a show by someone called Whitney Cummings on Netflix. Quite possibly one of the worst stand up comedy shows I've ever seen. I'm glad I have no idea who she is and I have no intention of finding out.

• Paid Members

I just watched a show by someone called Whitney Cummings on Netflix. Quite possibly one of the worst stand up comedy shows I've ever seen. I'm glad I have no idea who she is and I have no intention of finding out.

She's one of the creators of "2 Broke girls". That tells you everything you need to know.

• Paid Members

She also did another sitcom called 'Whitney' that got an absolute battering from the critics. I've only ever heard her on the Howard Stern Show and a couple of Comedy Central Roasts; while she's decent on the Stern Show (Stern can make anybody a passable interview, though), her roast appearances are woeful.She definitely enhances Norm Macdonald's views on female comics.

• Moderators

To be fair I'm not being completely honest, because that did include the interval. But my point still stands. Jimmy Carr started at 8pm, I left at 10:30. Kevin Bridges starter at 8:50, I left at 10:10. That is a big difference when you factor in the price and that Jimmy Carr is a bigger and (in my opinion) better talent. You can include a lot of crowd interaction with Carr also, which makes it more enjoyable.

Saying Jimmy Carr is better than anyone should be a more embarrassing admission than any wanking booth story....

• Paid Members

I don't really understand how audience participation immediately equates to a more enjoyable performance either. It's the laziest form of comedy - oh, let's look into the front row and pick someone who looks a bit gay or goofy or is wearing a crap shirt and rip on them on and off for the whole rest of the show.Jimmy Carr is shit.

• Paid Members

Yep this. Also if an acts set isn't going very well it's fine to dip into audience banter to keep the crowd on side & keep the show going. I'd much rather see this than someone stubbornly insist on doing their 'set' to poor results. I get that Jimmy Carr might not be everyone's cup of tea but he's far from shit. Personally, I don't like Michael McIntyre's stuff much but he's fucking brilliant at what he does.

• Moderators

Yeah.. fair enough. I know what you're saying.One thing I can say for Jimmy Carr is that he has become a lot more quick witted over the years it seems.The thing I resented about him when he made it big at first was that he stuck so rigidly to his script and seemed very awkward*... He's a lot more natural these days.*My favourite example of this was on that first Big Fat Quiz of the Year when he hosted and all the panelists took it in turns to completely shred him and he sat there making guppy faces with no response, looking like a total tit.I'm no budging on Macintyre though. Gotta draw the line somewhere. ;)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I think me and Mike have had this discussion before about Carr, but I'm still sticking with "shit".I know what you mean about him in that context, Chest. When it comes to reactionary comedy, he really is terrible.