The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Made my daughter's favourite at the weekend. Mac and Cheese. Pretty much made it up. We made a bechemel, added a load of cheddar in along with the parmesan while it was warm and added to cooked macaroni. Topped with cheddar. One to eat, one for the freezer. 25 mins at 160 fan. Before and after:

image.png.6eee0ff9d55140ffa6503ec2c578e9ac.png

image.thumb.png.ebccd83249cd4f7b949a215745c070b2.png

• Paid Members

Middle Eastern/Med day today. Moroccan lamb meatballs with a honey, vinegar and about 8 types of spices glaze. Souvlaki chicken and pitta,  hummus, za'tar yoghurt, baked aubergine with tomato garlic and onion and an onion, tomato and olive oil salad.

IMG-20190818-WA0016.jpg

20190818_152635.jpg

@tiger_rick my top tip for Mac and cheese is chucking in a couple of table spoons of Philadelphia in with the bechamel base. Then topping with Parmesan and crushed up tortilla chips and banging it up the grill to brown it on top. This adds a crusty top to it which adds a nice mix of a creamy base with some texture from the tortilla.

• Paid Members

Tried a couple of new things over the weekend. Tried "Sloppy Joes". Basically a bolognese sandwich but was bloody lovely. Did spicy wedges and served it on quality Aldi Brioche with Jack.

image.png.3d4f01c5acdf4951d0f198272ed92544.png

For sweets, I did Millionaire shortbread. So chuffed with these. Came out superb for a first effort. The caramel took some thickening but got there with just a little bit of burning. Appart from cracking a bit on slicing, they were ace.

image.png.e35c900ddfd2f104caaecc3161ffcc3f.png

• Paid Members

Did a bit over the weekend, not reinventing the wheel but some nice fun stuff. Made a beer bread, which is deceptively easy and completely vegan (by accident admittedly). Came out really well, a bit stodgy but very tasty. Used a golden ale, but planning on experimenting with different beers to see how that affects the end results.

rqdDQKE.jpg

WHh4fKc.jpg

Also made homemade pizza, which was lovely. Again, I forgot that the cough recipe is surprisingly straightforward.

kGX0uek.jpg

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Anyone got any tips on Pizza Boxes for a BBQ? Was looking at the the Firebox as it was a lot cheaper then the Bakerstone, but wondered if anyone had just used a good old Pizza stone on the BBQ instead

A stone only works if your BBQ gives decent seal when you close the lid. @SiMania has one of the Uuni things and raves about them.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Onyx2 said:

A stone only works if your BBQ gives decent seal when you close the lid. @SiMania has one of the Uuni things and raves about them.

They look amazing. It's just I wanted something I could use on what I have, rather then adding to my existing. 

• Paid Members

Made lunch with some of the leftover ingredients from yesterday. Spinach with toasted currants, red onions and pine nuts, served with cinnamonn and za'tar yoghurt with parsley, plus some hummus. 

20190819_130434.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

A ukff cookbook is needed, some very talented individuals on here 

Dunno if he's still selling it, but @Thunderplex published an excellent eBook for Chinese cooking years ago. And, obviously, @Onyx2 has done his Big Spud book.

Edited by Carbomb