Richie Freebird

Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

So file this under very minor, just about tangentially on topic: 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/12/rob-gronkowski-football-concussions-new-england-patriots

Rob Gronkowski reckons he has had over twenty concussions in his career. Surely that has to put paid to any chance of that WWE run that was rumoured a couple of years back. 

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

So file this under very minor, just about tangentially on topic: 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/12/rob-gronkowski-football-concussions-new-england-patriots

Rob Gronkowski reckons he has had over twenty concussions in his career. Surely that has to put paid to any chance of that WWE run that was rumoured a couple of years back. 

Doesn’t count if it was before you joinedThink About It Reaction GIF by Identity

He's probably lucky Dan Maff didn't actually decide to do him in.

It's cool to hear Pat Buck's signed with the WWE as a producer, he was one of those OVW guys that looked to have potential but never quite made it.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

He's probably lucky Dan Maff didn't actually decide to do him in.

But not in the way Maff allegedly did Homicide's sister.

That is really upsetting to read tbh and it genuinely comes across as the man having some serious mental health problems right now and he needs some interjection and get him the help. 

I hope he gets the help he quite clearly needs

2 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

That is really upsetting to read tbh and it genuinely comes across as the man having some serious mental health problems right now and he needs some interjection and get him the help. 

I hope he gets the help he quite clearly needs

homer simpson fighting GIF

Imagine being Big Cass, though. 7 foot guy, who was super over in developmental, got to WWE and Vince took one look at him and thought he was going to be the next big heel in the company. Daniel Bryan was his bitch for a few months. He must have been thinking WrestleMania main events and 7 figure salaries for years. So if you have previous issues with mental health, long term injuries and drugs, I cant see how the disappointment of all that wouldnt have got to him. Its a cruel business if you have no back up plan. The poor sod needs help, not more bookings for surprise appearances.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

17 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

That's sad to read. I had no idea Big Cass was now blacklisted by a lot of promotions. Sadly, wrestling doesn't really seem to give a care about mental health. 

It's not been structured to be able to. Outside WWE and maybe AEW, they're all independent contractors, meaning there's no overarching organisation with the resources for outreach and care for wrestlers in terms of either physical or mental health. Apart from the Cauliflower Alley Club, I can't think of any organisations that might be well-positioned to offer that sort of help. WWE and AEW probably can, but in WWE's case they've demonstrated that they'll do that for people on an arbitrary basis, either for current talent they're well-disposed towards, or former talent who did well with them, and AEW have made good noises, but haven't been around long enough to really show if they'll suit their actions to their words.

Do WWE still offer rehab for past performers?

I know he’s pretty much burnt his bridge as far going back as a performer goes, but a stint in a facility could help him in a big way