Stewart Lee

Devon Malcolm

One of the finest half-hours of comedy I have seen in a long time. The bloke is genuinely on another level compared to most comics. I also love the fact that in his own live audience on TV you can see the odd person not enjoying themselves at all - with barely a half-smile the whole time. I can imagine that really stupid people could watch his show and not actually realise that he's doing a stand-up act. Amazing.

• Paid Members

In love with the man and can't describe how happy I was to have accidentally stumbled across the new series.

I assume this is from the tour last year. I saw him in Durham but had a horrible day leading up to it and was incredibly tired, so a lot of what we saw I'm struggling to remember, compared to previous gigs of his over the years. So based on that, a lot of this series will be 'new' and not 'I remember this bit'.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

I've been a watching a lot of Stewart Lee recently. Some of it really funny. Started watching stuff from early on, like TMWRNJ with Richard Herring. What happened to Stew? In the space of a week he was a good looking bloke with cool hair and then he was a fat old bloke with a dodgy hairline (a real funny one nontheless)? Did he age really fast or was was it an illness of some kind. He seemed to look really different really fast.

Herring still looks the same to be honest. Still short, fat with AJ Styles hair (credit PowerButchi).

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I've been a watching a lot of Stewart Lee recently. Some of it really funny. Started watching stuff from early on, like TMWRNJ with Richard Herring. What happened to Stew? In the space of a week he was a good looking bloke with cool hair and then he was a fat old bloke with a dodgy hairline (a real funny one nontheless)? Did he age really fast or was was it an illness of some kind. He seemed to look really different really fast.

Herring still looks the same to be honest. Still short, fat with AJ Styles hair (credit PowerButchi).

He was actually fairly chunky back in the day, at times. There's​ a Fist of Fun sketch where he and Rich run naked through a garden and it's Stew who looks worse. He just held it better under his clothes. Ive heard Stew say that Frank Skinner told him he was too good looking to be funny, so he must have been delighted to pull the rip cord.

Yeah he mentions diverticulitis and having doctors put things up his bum while he was warming up the crowd on one of his DVDs. The one where he talks about vomiting into the gaping anus of christ.

May have been his first solo DVD in fact, it was hot off Jerry Springer The Opera and I think he was dipping back into the stand up world after an extended break.

The weight and aging must have taken place as he lost relevance going into the millennium

• Awards Moderator

DeadMike will be all over this old news, but Stewart Lee had a two hour chat with JTTS Stuart Goldsmith on the craft. I'm not much of a Stewart fan but this is fascinating:

http://www.comedianscomedian.com/200-stewart-lee/

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/stuartgoldsmith/~5/BYsPWBUJPgI/200_-_Stewart_Lee.mp3

One of the most iconoclastic, pioneering and influential comedians in Britain, Stewart Lee has forged his post-punk ideals into a thrillingly funny live act, with the very form at his fingertips.

We explore the deliberately uncomfortable tension between the man and the stage persona; discuss his self-imposed exclusion from the comedy community; and investigate his unshakeable conviction that he is in fact unsuccessful.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Do Lee and Herring hate each other now? Remember the last time Lee was on RHLSTP he seemed to want to be anywhere else but on the stage, and then rumours circulated that Stew cancelled the release of TMWRNJ on DVD.

Shame, because I loved them as a double act. They were just ace chemistry wise. You'd think they'd be shit together now they're older, but I watched that TMWRNJ reunion gig they did a few years back and they were belting.

I begin to enjoy Herring and Lee more as I get older, as I see myself morphing from half decent looking thin lad into an aging mess one day at a time.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

I don't know if it's just the gimmick but whenever Stew talks about Richard Herring he's pretty scathing. It's hilarious and really close to the bone and I kinda enjoy the fact that I don't know if he's shooting or not.

I get the feeling Stew definitely thinks he's above pedalling a nostalgia act and disagrees with Herring's approach to comedy in general but doesn't dislike him on a personal level.

Edited by Chest Rockwell