Stewart Lee

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Richard Herring's "Hitler Moustache" is a really brilliant bit of stand-up, that shows what heĀ isĀ capable of when he really commits to a concept. But every subsequent "themed" stand-up set I've seen from him hasn't come anywhere close, and a lot of his stuff has relied on fairly low hanging fruit.

I think you're spot on that Herring wanted to be part of a broader comedy establishment (and arguably now is), while Lee wanted to do his own thing, and saw the double act as a means to an end. Similar to the relative post-double act trajectories of Newman and Baddiel, though that's an unfair comparison in many ways as Herring is still a far better comic than David Baddiel ever was.

With Herring doing his podcast, popping up on stuff like House of Games and Taskmaster, it feels like he's become part of the cosy comedy fraternity, which is seemingly what he was after all along.Ā 

Ā 

In some ways I think the difference between them is that Herring feels more like the organically "funny bloke" who became a comedian, while Stewart Lee probably isn't actually all that funny in day-to-day conversation, but has developed a really solid understanding of the theory and the inner workings of comedy - I was about to say that even if you don't find Stew funny as a stand-up, you'd be able to appreciate him writingĀ aboutĀ comedy and how it works, it's rhythms, timing, why certain jokes work and others don't; but then I realised that if you don't find Stewart Lee funny, you probably think comic theory is a load of bollocks anyway and that things are either funny or they're not.

The Stewart Lee Adam Buxton podcast episode from earlier this year was a really good listen. Heā€™s promoting his King Rocker documentary and thereā€™s no ā€˜Stewart Lee the comedianā€™ persona at all. Buxton is an excellent podcast interviewer though and thereā€™s none of that annoying interviewer talking about themselves that Herring is prone to from time to time which always comes across like a referee trying to get themselves over.

• Paid Members
On 10/12/2021 at 8:02 PM, Mr_Danger said:

When has Herring said he didnā€™t think Lee contributed anything to the double act?

Herring did tell Stew on the podcast that TMWRNJ was actually meant to be Herring and Nick Owen (based on a humourous appearance on Fantasy Football), who got cold feet and dropped out. I've been watching them back the last few days and Herring certainly takes most of it, as if its his gig and Lee is just there as the spider haired pretty one.

• Paid Members
On 3/19/2017 at 8:06 PM, gmoney said:

He was actually fairly chunky back in the day, at times. There's a Fist of Fun sketch where he and Rich run naked through a garden and it's Stew who looks worse. He just held it better under his clothes.

I know I'm a few years out of date with the reply, but fucking hell you're spot on. Doesnt even look like the Stew in the studio minutes later. Herring's in better shape than him throughout this series.

j.png.4fb865196247e43760f8cd59a8628dab.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

He looks like a garden gnome who's lost his little fishing rod, been evicted from his toadstool home as a result of no longer being able to pay rent due to the failure of his artisan seafood business, and is now pondering the next step to take in his life.Ā