Stewart Lee

Devon Malcolm

The TMWRNJ DVD has been cancelled, proper gutted.

I've got them all on a DVD full of WMV files along with MP3s of their various radio shows and their live video. I still bought both Fist Of Fun DVDs to try and support them hoping they would get TMWRNJ released, so it is a shame that I'll have to stick with the admittedly good VHS rips.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

As is now tradition, Richard Herring spent the entirety of International Women's Day searching for people who'd tweeted variations on "When's International Men's Day?" and replying that it's November 19th (which it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men%27s_Day). 

https://twitter.com/Herring1967

I saw Stewart in Chesterfield the other night for the first time and he did not disappoint. I took a friend who hadn't seen his style before and only knew he was a comedian but he loved it too which was a relief. Can't wait for the next series of SLCV now! 

• 2 weeks later...

Has he explained why its not happening? I know he mentions its out of their hands at the start of the podcast but has anything else been said?

Well, not at the moment. Saying that it'll never be released would be slightly melodramatic, but at the moment I don't want to put the required money in. I've got a mortgage and kids and it seems like funding a vanity project.

There are various things that have to be done to raise money for it, like old live stuff that was going to be released. But I wasn't very happy with that, and there were other people that had performed in it who hadn't yet been asked whether they were happy about it. The BBC also wouldn't give us download rights, which is a big part of how you make your money back now. As the years go by, physical media sells less.I wouldn't think it's over but it's not happening right now. Maybe the fact that even we won't buy it will drive the price down! So someone will be able to get it for a lot less now, if they want it.

But it hasn't been destroyed. What's good is that, because there was some interest in it, it's been moved out of the room destined for landfill. And it's all up on the internet, so that's good.

But I was sort of surprised that Rich wanted to spend the money on it, having just lost 30 thousand pounds in Edinburgh with Avalon, and about to have a kid. We would probably have made the money back in the end, because we did with the other one, but the production costs would be more because there's so much of it, about twenty hours. It's like I, Claudius or something. But it'll turn up eventually, like a dog returning to its own vomit (laughs).

• 11 months later...
  • Paid Members

I just get home from watching Richard Herring's new show and find a new series of Comedy Vehicle on. Tonight's been a good night!

I dont know about anyone else, but I thought that episode was one of his finest pieces. I particularly enjoyed his acknowledgment and ridicule of the typical 'Stewart Lee Fan' and the great bit about falling back on 'hack jokes'.