Stewart Lee

Devon Malcolm

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

Found this in a market stall in Stratford Upon Avon on Saturday. The punters loved it and could not stop pointing and laughing. I was there with the in-laws, and my young sister-in-law stood dumbfounded as an older lady explained the joke to her.

"Y'see...Del Boy acts all normal...and then...HE FALLS THROUGH THE BAR!".

A wonderful day. Happy Jan 8th to all those who celebrate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 5:34 PM, DCW said:

Snowflake is on BBC 2 this Sunday 4th September at 10:35pm. Tornado is on the following Sunday 11th at 10:25pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001bvpm

A nice surprise!

I’m guessing Tornado is postponed. Speaking of Snowflake, it appears Stew has upset Ricky Gervais fans. They’re also doing the “Who?” thing that is mentioned at the top of the page. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I saw his new show Basic Lee last night, unwittingly attending on press night, which meant there were a few extra jibes at critics and reviewers, and probably a different feel than it would normally have this early in its run.

The conceit is that his shows were getting too high concept, so he's brought it back to basics - no stage set, no gimmick, just straight stand-up. And it's probably as close as Stewart Lee's been to just a simple stand-up show in a long time. It's still a bit rough around the edges - there's a recurring gag that, unusually for him, I found really funny when first told and progressively weaker the more he referred back to it, and an extended section on Fleabag that he admitted had once been part of the Content Provider set and was repurposed for this, and it just dragged on a bit too long for me, as it feels a few years too late to be trying to do a biting satire of a TV show that's already finished. Some somewhat obvious jokes about the current government (along with the usual caveat that he can't be bothered writing jokes about them because they won't be around long enough for the tour), about Ricky Gervais, and about JK Rowling, the latter being maybe the part that got the most laughs out of me. Also some extended stuff about his fanbase that was pretty spot-on.

Really good stuff, and great to see him live for the first time in years (he looked fat and old and fat). I'd be tempted to go see him again later in the tour to see how the material changes and tightens up with time.

It was also the most I've seen him corpse and laugh at his own material ever.

• 1 year later...