Stewart Lee

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

He's got the right kind of face for radio. Especially at the moment. Maybe he was getting into character and doing some method jazz radio. 

• Paid Members

I imagine the main reason he grows a massive beard and whatnot between tours is so he's not recognised; I remember Harry Hill saying it's one of the reason he's got a signature look - it means that just by growing a bit of a beard and not wearing a shirt with a massive collar, he's not going to get stopped in the street. 

Though as this thread is proving, in Stew's case it's no detriment to those wanting to say, "I saw Stewart Lee, he looked fat and old and old and fat". 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Stew simultaneously upset liberals, centrists, Tories, terfs, Zionists and YouTubers simply by publishing a list of his favourites and least favourites of 2021 on his website on Sunday. Warms the cockles of my heart to see him championing Tim Heidecker too.

https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/2022/01/from-the-metro-lib-elite-desk-of-stewart-lee-january-2022/

• Moderators

Absolutely hilarious. I didn't scroll down past his Microsoft Write-esque list of various things to get to the pedestal/pedal bin list. The responses on twitter and for those losers kicked off twitter (glinner) via their blogs has been hilarious.

• Paid Members

the amount of otherwise intelligent people who either don't get that Stewart Lee is an act, or else find it hilarious until it's them or his mates that he slags off (and not even really that - it's just a list of names!), is hilarious. Just constantly exposing the fragility of people who can't face basic criticism. All people who scream about how he's irrelevant, but give his opinion more weight than probably the man himself even does.

If it weren't for the fact that his next show is likely already written, I'd say just the reactions to a simple list of likes and dislikes would probably give him enough material for a tight thirty minutes at least. 

Good to see him giving Eliza Carthy her due - I know they're old mates, but she's been stellar live this year and doesn't get the plaudits she deserves outside of the folk sphere. 

• Paid Members

The main guy that did a long thread about it turned out to have slagged off Lee in a thread earlier in the year - had effectively said he was bullying Joe Pasquale, his whole 'persona' thing is a lie etc. Outside of him having turned up on an interview somewhere, it's likely Lee name-searches somewhat on Twitter and came across the guy being an arse. Which I found kind of funny as well.

One of the things I enjoyed about it all was how it's such a small, petty thing to put out your 'people who I liked and people who annoyed me', and yet it's been treated so seriously.

I have, by the way, worked for a company who turned up in a Stewart Lee routine, so I know what it's like to have your work slagged off by him (he was also entirely in the right).