The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Max Payne 1 is still really good. I picked it and 2 up last week after they finally dropped to a reasonable price on the Xbox store. My first time playing in full since the PS2 release (I tried the PS2 classic version on PS4 but gave up pretty quick.) The 4K/60, customisable control scheme and quick save saw me adjust pretty easy to it this time. Aside from the janky-ass platforrming (it took me like 20 tries to jump on the train) and dream sequence bits, I had a lot of fun, there can't be many third person shooters that hold up this well after two decades. I'm not long off playing the 3rd game so my standards are really high too. Hard as tits though, thank god for the quick save!

Starting 2 now, should be plain-sailing from here, I remember it as being much better playing.

• Paid Members

I picked up one of them "thousands of games in one" retro console deals off Etsy; presumably a Raspberry Pi and emulator deal, though I don't really know how any of that works, so happy to pay a bit to have all the work done for me. Hopefully should arrive today or tomorrow, Hermes depending. 

In the meantime, I've been playing Beneath A Steel Sky. Never really played it before, that I can remember - maybe gave it a go when I was a kid. Been meaning to for years, as it's a classic of the genre, and I picked up the sequel recently on a bit of a whim, so wanted to play the first one first. It's hard as balls and the voice acting is dreadful.

• Paid Members

Still completely hopeless with the tech behind it, but got the aforementioned new emulator kit set up, after a lot of pulled hair and tantrums on my part.

It's still a bit janky in places - no keyboard means I can't play ZX Spectrum or other home computer games on there to any great extent, because using a gamepad and on-screen keyboard is beyond irritating, so I might end up getting a USB keyboard for that. 

It came with two wireless controllers, and for no discernible reason the Start and Select buttons stopped working - though not entirely, as Select was still working as the "Insert Coin" button in MAME games. No Start button meant not being able to start the majority of games, but it also meant that - because holding Start + Select is the means to exit a game - I couldn't reset the console without getting up and switching it off. I tried getting it working with a PS3 controller, which worked to a point, and then the same problem came up.

So I ordered a decent bluetooth controller from Amazon, figured I'd try setting that up. No luck, as the console can't find it on Bluetooth. So I plugged it in with a USB extension cable, and it all seemed to work. But then, on trying to launch a game, the controls were all fucked. Whatever I had set them as through EmulationStation hadn't mapped across to RetroArch, so while everything worked correctly on menu screens, in-game the buttons were all completely randomised - so one of the shoulder buttons was mapped to "Up", for example, it was just utter guesswork. Not only did that make games unplayable, it meant navigating the RetroArch menu to try and remap them completely impossible.

Eventually managed to fix that by using a PS3 controller to navigate the menus, then switching to the new controller to set controls. It seems to have worked, though sometimes it thinks I'm controlling both player 1 and player 2 with a single control, and I haven't gotten to the bottom of that one yet.

Largely convinced that I'm going to switch it on tonight and it will all be fucked again, but fingers crossed that's not the case and I've (mostly) ironed the problems out. Some of the additional ROMs I've downloaded for it haven't worked, but no big deal there so far. I've had a quick go on Smackdown 2, No Mercy, the PSP Katamari game, and a handful of old arcade things like the Simpsons game. I doubt I'll use it for much in the way of long gaming sessions, as much as there's a few old RPGs I might be tempted to revisit, but if I can get the controller issue completely sorted it should come into its own when I've got mates round.

Meanwhile, I'm still stuck barely half an hour into Beyond A Steel Sky. Hard as balls.

I treated myself to a Retrocade Odroid64 a few months ago (60,000 games across 50 systems or something bonkers like that), and although the majority of the stuff I was after was fine (SNES, Megadrive, PlayStation, N64, etc.), some of the mappings on others are utterly fucked, the controller configuration is based entirely on clicking the buttons in EXACTLY the right order you want first time, and the guys themselves appear to go dark once they've got the sale.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, scratchdj said:

For every “off the shelf” retro console, I’ve yet to find anything that’s better or simpler to use/setup than a raspberry Pi. It’s a common trend for non-technical folk to believe setting one is beyond them, but it really is a case of downloading a file, putting it on an SD card and putting it in the Pi.

Yep, it's an incredibly simple process and the sheer amount of reputable help sites means that most issues can be ironed out from the get-go. They get a bad rep (and rightfully so) but searching any issue along with the term "reddit" will usually give you the best possible answer within a few clicks.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Meanwhile, I'm still stuck barely half an hour into Beyond A Steel Sky. Hard as balls.

Do you mean Beneath or Beyond? I finished both recently and don’t mind giving clues!

Also the voice acting in Beneath is class. I still laugh every time Lamb goes “DOBERMAN?” In his thick Yorkshire accent.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, FelatioLips said:

Do you mean Beneath or Beyond? I finished both recently and don’t mind giving clues!

Also the voice acting in Beneath is class. I still laugh every time Lamb goes “DOBERMAN?” In his thick Yorkshire accent.

sorry, I meant Beneath, haven't started on Beyond yet.

I've warmed to the voice acting thanks to Lamb and a couple of security guys, and just the regional accents all over the place, it's just the main character and robot that I find quite tedious. I had a decent run at it yesterday, inasmuch as I've managed to get into Lamb's apartment now, when I'd been solidly baffled by things a good four or five steps before that for a long time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I bet those rings went fucking everywhere and of course, I hope it didn’t get damaged. 

Only if it dropped onto spikes or an enemy. It would have been fine otherwise.