Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Ghostbusters is the one they are hanging their hat on going forward. They did have MIB but that last one was a serious misfire.

To be honest SONY should concentrate on following somewhat the WB model and being a place where Writer/Directors can do their big films. Tarantino went with them and it came up trumps for them. Go down that route.

Also fuck off Disney.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD was decent I thought. James Gunn kinda annoys me so his films grate on me as well, but a thoroughly enjoyable ride. The DC movies are starting to feel like films I want to see given the different tones in them. Refreshing.

I’m happy for them to buy Spider-Man, wouldn’t mind them getting MIB either (as it’s a Marvel property as well, it makes sense). But yeah, I don’t want Disney buying another Studio, and I’d be surprised if they were allowed to.

I’ll disagree with you on DC though. Shazam I really enjoyed, and TSS, but the rest are mainly awful.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Christ, and people already complain that all the PlayStation games are too formulaic! Surely it’d be easier to buy the rights to Spidey than it would the entire company. 

I imagine it comes down to cost and reward.

If for argument’s sake Sony have said they won’t let the Spider-Man rights for less than $5 billion, but would entertain a company sale at $7.5 billion, then it would make sense for Disney to just buy them outright and get Spider-Man, plus Sony’s entire asset library and back catalogue.

Those numbers are entirely made up, as I have no idea what sort of numbers movie franchises or studios go for. But just an example of either buying a slice for near full-cake price, or just paying a bit extra and buying the whole cake. 

20 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’ll disagree with you on DC though. Shazam I really enjoyed, and TSS, but the rest are mainly awful.

I was more trying to say that they are at least different feels of movie so I'll go see them, rather than me even enjoying them really. Shazam! I agree was a great fun movie, JOKER (whatever your thoughts) was an attempt at a serious character study, TSS a guys on a mission war movie. It looks like THE BATMAN is leaning into the Noir Detective film. They at least have stopped feeling formulaic. I'm all for that. I like MARVEL but there's only so much sugar one can ingest.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I was more trying to say that they are at least different feels of movie so I'll go see them, rather than me even enjoying them really. Shazam! I agree was a great fun movie, JOKER (whatever your thoughts) was an attempt at a serious character study, TSS a guys on a mission war movie. It looks like THE BATMAN is leaning into the Noir Detective film. They at least have stopped feeling formulaic. I'm all for that. I like MARVEL but there's only so much sugar one can ingest.

In that case, I agree. The remnents of the Snyderverse (including Birds of Pray) have been dull, but I am excited for The Batman and Shazam 2, Black Adam etc. And I also agree with the Marvel point. It is why I am excited to see Shang Chi and The Eternals because they atleast look a bit different to the norm. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don't think Wonder Woman was as amazing as people made out, but it was a pretty decent film. And personally, I really liked Aquaman - the story was basic but well-paced and detailed, the soundtrack was cool, and the visuals were gorgeous. In terms of visuals alone, it was everything that Man Of Steel should've been; that choice to make everything sepia and "dark" was stupid - I get they were trying to reflect the "darkness" of the DC universe, but doing that with Superman doesn't work: if you do it with Superman, who's the bright, optimistic, hopeful character, how does it feel any different with the darker characters?

Man Of Steel in my opinion wasn't a bad film either, but it didn't feel like a Superman film. A friend of mine summed it up: "It was a fun film, but it didn't make me feel like I could fly".

• Paid Members

I could not be more hyped for the new Spider-Man, especially if any of the potential spoilers are true. I'll pop it in spoilers because its all just rampant speculation and leaks at the min but ...

Spoiler

The very real chance of Holland, Maguire and Garfield versions of Spider-man facing off against the Sinister Six of Vulture, Doc Oc, Green Goblin, Electro, Lizard and possibly Sandman or Mysterio is pure fan service

• Paid Members

Yeah, I’ve been watching the odd episode or two of M.O.D.O.K. here and there so nearly through it. It’s humour is very much Robot Chicken and passes the time. I enjoy it, but it’s not compulsive viewing like WandaVision was.

Edited by Your Fight Site