What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Finished the first series of Fringe and.... I like it. It certainly improves as it goes on and, although I'm still quite sure it might be shit, there's something there. The characters are probably key to it, really, rather than the ideas. Think I'll stick with it.

Fringe is awesome and gets steadily better and better apart from the last season, which is a mess.

• Paid Members

I've been rewatching I, Claudius this week. Fantastic series, amazing performances. George Baker as Tiberius stuck out to me this time. It's not as fun a role as Sian Lloyd and Brian Blessed have as Livia and Augustus (who are both incredible) but he's so deft, barely contained rage, weakness and self loathing. I felt sorry for him early on, but he evolves into a monster. 

Anyway, it reminded me of this from Sesame Street. Probably peak TV. 

3 minutes ago, gmoney said:

's not as fun a role as Sian Lloyd and Brian Blessed

Spoiler Alert.  His death scene is one of the best deaths in acting. The light just slowly drains from his eyes. 

• Paid Members

Aye, it's amazing. He's performance is fucking massive as you'd expect from him, but he does subtle brilliantly too. One of the best scenes is him whistling while pruning a plant. 

Edit: And when I say Sian Lloyd, I of course mean Sian Phillips. Fucks sake. 

Edited by gmoney

I've been watching The Great, a new period comedy/drama set about Catherine The Great from one of the writers of The Favourite. It's pretty good stuff, suitably grim when it needs to be and Elle Fanning is excellent and rather lovely in the lead role. A huge recommendation so far.

58 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I've been watching The Great, a new period comedy/drama set about Catherine The Great from one of the writers of The Favourite. It's pretty good stuff, suitably grim when it needs to be and Elle Fanning is excellent and rather lovely in the lead role. A huge recommendation so far.

I think she's bloody excellent in everything I've seen her in, so will definitely be watching this.

She was superb in a great little film called Teen Spirit from a few years back if you haven't seen it. Get's a bit cheesy, but she's so good in it.

• Paid Members

Started watching The Wire

Well, I started watching it again. I never made it past the second episode, due to not focusing. However, the brain weasels are not allowing me to focus on anything at all, except good TV, it seems. As a result, I have now got halfway through S1 and will be continuing it. 

Really enjoying it, but I'm not sure if it's my age, or my sensibilities, but jeez the nudity for no reason! Having Kima take her top off to end the fourth episode just seemed unnecessary...

The Wire Season Four thoughts (three discs in)

The four actors who are playing the young leads are superb.  After the first disc I thought it was going to be an emotional roller coaster when it comes to Duquan, but things haven't been too bad.  Yet at least.  I really hope we're not going down some noncery storyline and having him accuse Prez of abusing him though.

Michael's father has returned and he's become very protective of his young brother.  Considering he's a regular down at Cutty's Boxing gym, I'm going that the father used to beat him and his mother up.

Talking of the school life, jeez that one girl cutting the other across the face with a blade and then a gang rape in the toilets!  Later rescinded by the girl who said it was consensual, but who knows.

It's weird not seeing McNulty at the centre of everything this season.  Very much a periphery figure.  I can't get past him being tea total now.  What Holly Flax can do to a man!  At least we still have Drunk Bunk to rely on!

Carcetti is my least favourite character,  I can't warm to him at all, whether that's due to his dodgy accent or what I don't know.  With the elections over it appears D'Agostino is gone which is a shame.

Major Crimes Unit has turned into a bit of a joke, a complete 180 from how it use to be.  The new Lieutenant, bought in by Rawls and Burrell to stop the Detail snooping in on political donations from the Barksdales did his job on that front, although it resulted in the better officers moving on (Greggs and Freamon are now in Homicide) and you're left with Sydnor and returning Herc and a bunch of no-marks.  I think this might be the season that Herc's pocketing of drug money, faking of informants etc catches up with him as he's looking pretty foolish going against Marlo.

Omar is currently in jail, set up for a murder by Marlo in retaliation for Omar sticking up a card game he was involved in and stealing all his money.  Things were looking bleak for Omar, jail full of people he'd previously robbed, until the main man Butchie sorted things out.  There's a great start to one of the episodes where he turns a knife on someone who was going to stab him, sending a message that he's not to be messed with.

I'm guessing towards the end of this season or next we're getting a big Marlo/Omar confrontation.  

I like Chris, Marlo's lieutenant, the guy's ruthless, but struggle to understand a word that Snoop says.

I think that's everything for the time being.

• Paid Members

Anyone give The First Team a look last night?

It's certainly no Inbetweeners, but if my crush on Tamla Kari can get me through The Musketeers, I'm sure it'll get me through a show involving football.

Edited by Statto
Typo.

9 hours ago, Statto said:

Anyone give The First Team a look last night?

It's certainly no Inbetweeners, but if my crush on Tamla Kari can get me through The Musketeers, I'm sure it'll get me through a show involving football.

I just watched a bit of it there now. If I hadn't been told, there's no way I'd have guessed the writers of The Inbetweeners were behind this shite.

• Paid Members

It's been fairly poorly recieved reviews wise, that it's trying to capture a lot of the inbetweeners style jokes that don't really have an audience these days. 

Can't see it getting more than 1 season, some of the characters are unlikeable and not even in a "I hope they get their comeuppance way"