What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Space Force is really fucking bad. We watched the first two episodes and neither of them were funny or interesting. In fact episode 2 was almost insultingly bad.

7 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Space Force is really fucking bad. We watched the first two episodes and neither of them were funny or interesting. In fact episode 2 was almost insultingly bad.

The trailer was awful so not surprised.

Quite weird to try and do a satire of something that is slightly ridiculous in the first place.

I suppose with comedies you often have to give them time to establish themselves. A lot of great sitcoms start off a bit all over the place.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I suppose with comedies you often have to give them time to establish themselves. A lot of great sitcoms start off a bit all over the place.

Genuinely struggling to think of a great sitcom that isn't good from the start. Appreciate some of this US ones that have 86 episodes a season take time to warm up but most of the best are just good.

The only one I can think of is the US version of The Office and that has mitigation because they mistakenly copied the UK one at first and then found their own style.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CTXRussomark said:

Seinfeld is probably my favourite show of all time but the first (short) season is pretty ropey in places.Ā  Though part of that is probably hindsight and comparing to what it went on to become rather than being genuinely bad.Ā 

I think that's the key. Lots of shows improve on the first season, many get worse but it's rare that a great sitcom isn't good from the off. The humour and character is either there or it isn't.Ā 

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Genuinely struggling to think of a great sitcom that isn't good from the start. Appreciate some of this US ones that have 86 episodes a season take time to warm up but most of the best are just good.

The only one I can think of is the US version of The Office and that has mitigation because they mistakenly copied the UK one at first and then found their own style.

Only the pilot of the US Office was copied from the UK one. From then on it was all original stuff.

I think the first seasons of It's Always Sunny, Parks & Rec andĀ The Simpsons are all a bit ropey and don't start getting good until the second season.

The Wire Season Four thoughts (finished)

I know people were saying it was the best season and one of greatest TV season's of all time, but it didn't surpass the first for me and I'd have it in second place of the four so far.

This bit in the closing montage really got to me

3458733983_f6ea7c8e35.jpg

There's no innocence of youth with the characters where they come from, it's not even simpler or easier times, but there's no going back to that time, there lives have all taken different paths.

It was heartbreaking watching Randy being dropped off at that home knowing how difficult he was going to have it. Ā I really warmed to Carver over the season, he's grown up from how he was in Season One, the same can't be said for his former running buddy Herc, responsible for Randy's home being petrol bombed, him ending up in care and also the death of Sherrod. Ā I don't normally have The Wire down as "predictable" but the moment Bubbles brought those vials back with him to the squat I knew how this was ending up. Ā I wish he'd tried to fight back against that guy who was constantly robbing him rather than take the beating every time.

Naimond's mum was awful and it was suprising that Naimond, of the four, was the only one who got the happy ending, moving in with Colvin and his wife.

Bodie's killing was a shocker, I had him down as a character who would be there to the end.

Hopefully Omar's back, we need that confrontation between him and Marlo. Ā Chris is still my favourite of the Stansfield crew, although that beating he put on Bug's dad was brutal. Ā Although nothing was ever said, definite strong implications that he was probably abused as a child, as likely was Michael.

Proposition Joe is great, especially stiffing Marlo on the price when Omar sold the drugs he'd robbed from them back to them!

Best of all for the final season the band is back together in Major Crimes, McNulty transferring back from Western.

• Paid Members

I finished I, Claudius over the weekend. Second time through and the whole time I was watching I couldn't remember what happens at the end and it turns out for good reason, it's a bit of a damp squib. The trouble with having a fantastic cast that gets bumped off all the time is that you need time to introduce the new ones, and there wasn't much time to do so here. I was also a little burnt out by poisonings and plots by the end (so was Claudius, I suppose). It's still a fucking fantastic bit of work though. Despite the dodgy BBC soundstage sets, you feel like you're watchingĀ Rome the whole way through. The sheer amount of scenes burned in my memory is mad for a 12 episode series.Ā 

• Paid Members

Been cracking through Luther, a bit of a tonal shift from Death In Paradise, I'm surprised nobody's has the idea of doing a crossover for Comic Relief.Ā 

A couple of the supporting cast have also turned up as characters in Stan Lee's Lucky Man, and maybe it's my brain filling in blanks, or just tropes, but there are a couple more similarities. Tonally they're quite similar, Alice in Luther seems to have a similar role to Eve in Lucky Man as a confidant/almost mentor role. (Sienna Guillory turns up. In both). Plus Paul McGann's in it at first, and he's low key one of the best Doctors in Doctor Who, albeit only the audio stuff. Still waiting to see whether my other half fancies watching House with me.Ā 

• Paid Members

I'm sticking with Fringe and yeah, I definitely like it and not just for Anna Torv. Some episodes are plain X-Files rip-offs but they tend to rip off the best ones so I can live with that.

6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm sticking with Fringe and yeah, I definitely like it and not just for Anna Torv. Some episodes are plain X-Files rip-offs but they tend to rip off the best ones so I can live with that.

I really enjoyed Fringe. As a massive X-Files fan (probably in my top 5 of all time - not necessarily quality wise but a show I really fell in love with), I didn't really have high expectations because I had no real interest in a rip off copycat type deal. But thankfully Fringe managed to carve its own universe and never really feel like it was trying to be X-Files 2.0. I'm sure if you really look for comparisons then they're there, but the biggest compliment I can give them is that it neverĀ feltĀ like it when I was watching it.

Certainly didn't hurt that John Noble is fucking fantastic in it, and I do love Pacey from Dawsons Creek.