What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators

I finished the first series of Derry Girls. It's good, like, but very patchy. There's a lot to enjoy there but a lot of stuff that doesn't land, too, I felt. It's just a bit awkward and jarring at times - things sometimes fell mos like shoehorned plot points more than things I think the characters would really do or say.

I think the finale its a pretty good example of this, where the 'big epic finish' kinda comes out of nowhere and really didn't land for me. But then again my wife was crying so maybe it wasn't as off the mark as I felt it was.

• Paid Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

I finished the first series of Derry Girls. It's good, like, but very patchy. There's a lot to enjoy there but a lot of stuff that doesn't land, too, I felt. It's just a bit awkward and jarring at times - things sometimes fell mos like shoehorned plot points more than things I think the characters would really do or say.

I think the finale its a pretty good example of this, where the 'big epic finish' kinda comes out of nowhere and really didn't land for me. But then again my wife was crying so maybe it wasn't as off the mark as I felt it was.

Keep watching it and it picks up at around the third series.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Dean Norris episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is one of the best episodes of TV comedy I've ever seen. Absolutely wonderful.

If you like Kimmy Schmidt, I'd recommend Schitts Creek as your next series.

Just making my way through series 6 at the moment. Moira's accent has gone beyond. She made plea bargain sound like "Plooow bargooeen" in episode 1 completely naturally, and Annie Murphy continues to be the most underrated comedic actor around.

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You've been pushing that show petty hard recently.. I gotta say it didn't do that much for me. I watched a bunch of it when I had a lot of downtime and it was ok background. But I easily dropped it and forgot about it and haven't gone back to it.

Fair enough. I did the same with Kimmy Schmidt and haven't gone back to it, which is a shame as it started off great.

I also watched a couple of episodes of Broad City last night and whilst it's never going to be hilarious to me, there's enough there to stick with it and see what comes of it. I think Abbi Jacobson is excellent as well, so that's a massive plus.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

If you like Kimmy Schmidt, I'd recommend Schitts Creek as your next series.

I'm not sure why you would. The humor and style of Kimmy is the absolute complete opposite of Schitts Creek.

Personally I found Schitts Creek quite flat, not particularly funny and fairly dull.

Edited by LaGoosh

22 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm not sure why you would. The humor and style of Kimmy is the absolute complete opposite of Schitts Creek.

Personally I found Schitts Creek quite flat, not particularly funny and fairly dull.

Whilst the style of humour is different, they're both fairly off beat comedies but it's only my opinion.

Depends how much you invest in the characters. I love the Roses. 

Each to their own though.

• Moderators

Continuing my way through Community.. Series 4 was indeed fucking terrible, but not quite as awful as I was expecting it to be.. I think I just had my expectations really low. Also it was a short series which was a happy surprise (I never made it to the end the first time around).

Anyway, it was worth it as I'm on series 5 now. Only a few episodes in but the quality dramatically goes back up very quickly. And Goggins just turned up in the last episode!

18 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Can’t think why something like that would appeal to Bacon. 

In stuff that appeals to me, I started watching Suits and Louis Litt is a magnificent shithouse. I hope they don’t turn him or he goes on a redemption journey. Plus he is blatantly in the closet. 

• Paid Members

Lewis is indeed one of the best characters in the show. I also spent the entire show crushing hard on Donna. 

Schitts Creek's final season was okay; the finale episode had the right balance of ridiculousness and earnestness that the whole show had had. 

Now trying to find something new to watch, rather than just rewatching endless old Simpsons on Disney+.

• Paid Members

I've got one episode of Devs left and I've been fairly disappointed by it as a whole. I think Alex Garland does hard sci fi really well, unfortunately he's quite terrible at the whole building interesting and engaging characters side of writing so it's pretty hard to actually care too much about any of the really cool concepts he attempts to explore. I don't think it's a coincidence that Dredd is the only thing he's written I've actually really enjoyed when he didn't actually have to come up with the characters himself.

However the concept of the show has intrigued me enough to stick with it. I'm hoping all the boring, dreary, lifeless characters die at the end.

Edited by LaGoosh

On the sci-fi tip, and based on Amazon Prime's popups, I watched the first episode of Upload last night.

It's no doubt going to end up a fairly generic digital afterlife cautionary tale comedy-drama, but there are some very cool ideas in there. Amell from Arrow's little brother plays a coder who gets killed in a suspicious self-driving car accident, and gets strong-armed by his possessive and rich girlfriend to get uploaded into a digital retirement network called Lake View. I was expecting something pretty naff, but it's actually got some fun gags about MMORPG tropes, glitching, and modern app standards translated to living environments. Swiping left on drinks cabinet options but getting stung for micro-transactions, voice-activated auto-orientation, popup ads, tiered access and population-driven lag.

I expect these gimmicks to die off as the series goes on in favour of the who-has-done-this angle, but it looks like a fun distraction for a week of evenings.

Edited by CavemanLynn

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I think Alex Garland does hard sci fi really well, unfortunately he's quite terrible at the whole building interesting and engaging characters side of writing so it's pretty hard to actually care too much about any of the really cool concepts he attempts to explore. I don't think it's a coincidence that Dredd is the only thing he's written I've actually really enjoyed when he didn't actually have to come up with the characters himself.

I think that's done by design, I really do. He's much more interested in the ideas than the characters. It's an absolutely fair criticism of him, but one which I think he's probably utterly aware of.