What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Perry said:

I know ITV has had its fair share of stick where sitcoms are concerned and rightfully so with some, but I've enjoyed quite a few of them over the years. Most seem to think they never topped Rising Damp

They didn't!

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Perry said:

I know ITV has had its fair share of stick where sitcoms are concerned and rightfully so with some, but I've enjoyed quite a few of them over the years. Most seem to think they never topped Rising Damp

Examples please

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Examples please

Some of the ones that I've enjoyed? Sure

The New Statesman, Only When I Laugh, The Bounder, Duty Free, Home to Roost, On The Buses, Never the Twain, The Bottle Boys, Up The Elephant and Home James

• Paid Members

Started watching Modern Family this morning. It's so funny. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Started watching Modern Family this morning. It's so funny. 

It suffers from the typical US sitcom trope of too many episodes over too many years, but it’s still worth your time. Phil Dunphy is the man.

• Paid Members
Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

It suffers from the typical US sitcom trope of too many episodes over too many years, but it’s still worth your time. Phil Dunphy is the man.

I saw Fred Willard turns up as his dad. He's always a good turn. 

I was way more annoyed than I should have been when they dropped the running gag of Phil always tripping on one of the steps on the stairs in his house in the second season onwards. It was a brilliant joke that somehow got a laugh out of me every time.

I stuck with Community and have been watching it every night before bed.

It's alright I suppose (don't think it's a patch on Sunny but just my opinion), but I still really dislike Jeff as a character and an actor.

Fortunately everyone around him makes up for it. Not sure I'll finish it if it starts getting really shit though.

The Halloween episode was very funny.

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I stuck with Community and have been watching it every night before bed.

It's alright I suppose (don't think it's a patch on Sunny but just my opinion), but I still really dislike Jeff as a character and an actor.

Fortunately everyone around him makes up for it. Not sure I'll finish it if it starts getting really shit though.

The Halloween episode was very funny.

Season four is shit as Dan Harmon was fired at the end of season three. He gets rehired for season five and six, but the standard never reaches the level it was.

Speaking of Sunny, I've been watching the most recent season on Netflix and I can't bring myself to finish it. It's awful. I think I've only managed about three episodes because the amount of botox and plastic surgery Dee and Dennis have both had is so distracting. That and the fact that it's not that funny anymore. They really need to pack it in before it gets too bad and they completely ruin the legacy of the show.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Was he fired for making loads of race and gay jokes? I know the worlds changed a lot in 10 years but it doesn't half stick out in 2020.

The official reason was because the channel wanted them to make more episodes for less money and Dan Harmon refused because he didn't want to compromise how good they'd be.

The actual reason was because he was a raging alcoholic and was 'difficult' to work with because he was so passionate about the show and wanted everything done exactly on point. Also Chevy Chase hated him and had more sway with the execs.