What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Quote me your favourite Upper Hand line, @Hannibal Scorch

I can probably tell you my favourite episode. The one with the biking down a huge drop because Charlie goes a bit nuts. I don’t recall it ever being that quotable. Like 2 point 4 children it was just an easy watch as I got into my early teens    

Just now, Magnum Milano said:

Started Season Three the past couple of nights.  I'm sure I will get into it but it feels like I'm back at the beginning in a way with so many new characters being introduced at once.  Things really feel like they've moved on a fair bit, which didn't feel the case between Season's One and Two.  I thought Perlman looked a bit more glamorous here and it's not long before you find out why.  Also struggling to get past Aiden Gillen's accent.

Excellent final two episodes of the season with all the Avon/Stringer stuff and also the return of Brother.  Interested to see where they go for Season Four as the ending of that season felt like the blow-off to everything that first three had been building to.

I've not gotten into all the political stuff, primarily as Carchetti and his odd accent does nothing for me.  The only good thing about him is D'Agostino.  Cutty/Dennis was my favourite new character so I hope we see more of him, also enjoyed everything with Colvin and it was cool seeing him being a focus of this Season.  Wonder what happens to the Detail from here?  Prez gone, McNulty back to civvy street, not sure how it'll be seeing him on the beat in uniform.  Thankfully we never got McNulty having a one night stand with Greggs as I was certain they were heading that way.  Oh, and it's pretty clear what was the inspiration for Line of Duty after watching this!

So Dave has nothing to do with the UK rapper named Dave? Sad ting.

But yeah I also just finished Devs and it's 100% all Alex Garland, even down to that weird unnatural dialogue that somehow still works.
Finally got around to going through season 4 of Mr. Robot, too. It's a great whacked out trip, not half as clever as it probably thinks it is but it's an engaging bit of techno-thriller that has some truly heart wrenching moments this season.

• Paid Members
On 5/19/2020 at 12:15 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Garland is very much from the Tarkovsky school of science fiction where world building and visualising concepts is forefront in his mind. I disagree that there are not engaging characters in his films and Devs, personally, but there's no question that they are not the most important thing to him. Devs is very Garland and if you didn't like Ex-Machina and Annihilation then this will be a struggle too.

Yep, finished this the other day and absolutely hated the ending. I think I've learnt my lesson with Garland's work and will avoid in future.

Though I didn't enjoy Annihilation the film at all the concept intrigued me enough to check out the novel and I absolutely loved it (and the trilogy as a whole) so at least I got something good out of his work.

I missed the mentions of it earlier in the thread, but I watched all of Dave over a few days this week. Completely took me by surprise how good it was. It’s rare that a show finds itself so quickly. I found it pretty hilarious, and very touching. Absolutely loved it. Never heard of Lil Dicky before this, but I’d buy a ticket to go see him if concerts ever come back. And the GaTa episode is just superb.

Also, I much prefer the What We Do in the Shadows TV show to the movie. It takes me ages to finish an episode because I keep rewinding and rewatching scenes, and particularly Matt Berry’s delivery of some lines.

16 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I missed the mentions of it earlier in the thread, but I watched all of Dave over a few days this week. Completely took me by surprise how good it was. It’s rare that a show finds itself so quickly. I found it pretty hilarious, and very touching. Absolutely loved it.

An upvote for that.

16 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Never heard of Lil Dicky before this, but I’d buy a ticket to go see him if concerts ever come back.

A downvote for this.

No, but seriously, I too was surprised by it, and was really moved by the GaTa episode. Pretty certain there will be a series 2.

Edit: Just finished the first series of Broad City and have really enjoyed it, Hannibal Buress in particularly.

The two leads are incredibly likeable as well, and I hope the show doesn't dip in quality. Really makes me want to smoke weed though. 

Edited by SuperBacon
shit laptop buttons.

47 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Also, I much prefer the What We Do in the Shadows TV show to the movie. It takes me ages to finish an episode because I keep rewinding and rewatching scenes, and particularly Matt Berry’s delivery of some lines.

Less Taika Waititi sure helps.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

and particularly Matt Berry’s delivery of some lines.

Matt Berry's delivery and pronunciation is the best in the business. I'd happily listen to him all day. Imagine him doing the classified results?

I have been watching Toast of London lately, which I started a few years ago and never continued with. He's great in it and the voiceover session scenes are brilliant. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Have you listened to any of his albums?  Television Themes was a big hit at Chez JB.

I love the first Duckworth Lewis Method album, but can't say I've heard any of Matt Berry's stuff outside that. He's a man of many talents. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Finished the first series of Fringe and.... I like it. It certainly improves as it goes on and, although I'm still quite sure it might be shit, there's something there. The characters are probably key to it, really, rather than the ideas. Think I'll stick with it.