What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

id anybody get around to watching Dracula? Much like Sherlock, it starts incredibly then eventually Moffat and Gatiss overwrite everything until it disappears up its own arse. Really disappointing 3rd episode. First two are worth a watch, though

First two are really entertaining with two great central performances. But you are correct, much like a lot of Moff's stuff, it just goes shit at the end. He must be one of the most frustrating writers for me. If you ever want someone to write a tremendous first episode / one off, he's your man.

• Paid Members

I watched a bit and it looks shite. BBC Drama in the last 5 years has this problem where everything feels extremely lifeless and false, and I can't put my finger on why. I'm sure a lot of it is budget, but it's really off-putting. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

I've watched parts 1&2 and they both really struggled to hook me for the first 45 minutes. They did get me into them after that but it really felt like hard work and I love Hammer so I should be in the bag for it. Also Dracula just isn't scary in it. He's closer to Leslie Nielsen than Christopher Lee. Van Helsing is pretty damn entertaining though.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Yeah, I wasn't a massive fan of Claes Bang's performance either. He was decent at times, other times he veered dangerously close to David Walliams camp.

He wouldn't be my first choice simply as I don't see Dracula as working man Londonerish. However I don't know that it was necessarily him that was the weak spot but more what he was given. Writing him a constant stream of one liners and quips constantly undermined any tension or suspense.

There's a neat little documentary on the history of Dracula on iPlayer to accompany the series. The show itself I'm a thumbs in the middle tilting slightly up guy but the doc made me gagging to watch the Blu-ray that's been sat on my shelf for years of Hammer's original.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I'm in the minority but I hated the first episode within the first ten minutes. I enjoyed it even less (and less) as it went on so I haven't bothered with 2 or 3.

Nearly everyone I've talked to or seen online hated it too. I heard there was an Inside No 9 reference and fuck that, Moffat needs to keep that infinitely better name out of his mouth.

I heard there was an Inside No 9 reference and fuck that, Moffat needs to keep that infinitely better name out of his mouth.

Its a little nod from Gatiss to his mates. I think he did something similar in a Sherlock.

Most people seem to just hate the 3rd episode. Without spoiling it, the setting  for the first 2 was infinitely better than the 3rd.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Finished Witcher last night. It's not amazing but it's very watchable. Flew by, was entertaining, scratched the 'fantasy' itch, and Henry Cavil is brilliant.

Did you get that "Toss a coin to your Witcher" song stuck in your head? It's been going round in mine since before Christmas.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Did you get that "Toss a coin to your Witcher" song stuck in your head? It's been going round in mine since before Christmas.

Endlessly. It even plagued my dreams one night, when I listened to it on YouTube before bed because I couldn't get it off my mind.

(And obviously now it's back again, since you mentioned it)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

My biggest gripe with The Witcher was

The overly convoluted timelines running alongside each other until they all converge. When the reveal of that hits half way through it was more a shrug of the shoulders than a nod of appreciation.

Other than that I want more Cavill battling scary monsters next series.

• Paid Members

I thought the first two episodes of Dracula were alright. Moffatt & Gatiss tried to throw in a few "insider references" to Clara Oswald and Sherlock, there was what I presume was the Inside Number 9 reference in the second episode, then it all completely fell to pieces in the third part. It was like watching the first two parts of Bram Stoker's Dracula, but then somebody's taped over the last third with the end of Dracula 2000.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Yeah, I wasn't a massive fan of Claes Bang's performance either. He was decent at times, other times he veered dangerously close to David Walliams camp.

I saw him as Tommy Cooper and that ruined all of his aura immediately.