Sign in to follow this  
Dynamite Duane

What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

He so nearly landed it as well. It's like he finished the story then realised he forgot to put a couple of his most miserable tropes in so tacked them on. I said to the lady that it was uncomfortable viewing because it was clearly so personal and i felt like i was a fly on the wall of his miserable life.

5 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

The Virtues pretty much finished me off and rinsed me of any mirth.

An absolutely astounding performance by Stephen Graham, to be honest, and it felt like watching a documentary at times.

I know everyone loves Shane Meadows, but I’m not able for his stuff and I do feel like the living, breathing equivalent of the Kid A album anytime I am subjected to anything he does.
Close-up on a some cunt filling up a limescale addled kettle, followed by a smash cut to a cigarette burning in a wooden ashtray that once said ‚ÄėCorfu‚Äô on it, followed by a long shot of a half eaten Rustlers Rib Burger. Someone is crying, or trying to shake off an impending mental breakdown. People who look like they need to wash themselves have sex on a mattress with no sheet on it. Someone buys a pair of tights and puts them on. Lead character tops himself or regresses into alcoholism or drug use. Credits with no music.

Christ, yeah. I'm really hoping Meadows has exorcised his demons with this and can move on to something that's not the same repetitive slow-mo misery punctuated by a horrible act of violence he's been pumping out for the last decade. Before the opening titles of episode 1 had even come up, you just knew the main character had been sexually abused. I was heartened when he accused that bloke of "did they bum yer?!" which seemed to rule it out as the Bad Thing that'd happened, but no; rape again. Granted, he switched it up by randomly having the other miserable character

strangle their elderly mother to death rather than Graham murder the paed

but come on. At least this one had less tonally-off comedy moments stuck in there. Nobody had sex with their legs kicking in the air like in This is England 86, right after someone had been brutally raped by their mate's dad.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Did it have one of those bits where someone looks into a bathroom mirror, sighs at their reflection then opens the cabinet to get something, and when they close it they see the reflection of their abuser in the doorway?

37 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Did it have one of those bits where someone looks into a bathroom mirror, sighs at their reflection then opens the cabinet to get something, and when they close it they see the reflection of their abuser in the doorway?

It had more than one scene where the bloke caught his reflection in a mirror which was broken - just like him!

The best thing Shane Meadows did was in Dead Man Shoes when "nob" was painted on one of the heavy's suit jacket. 

1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

The best thing Shane Meadows did was in Dead Man Shoes when "nob" was painted on one of the heavy's suit jacket. 

When Mickey Adams played for Coventry, he'd turn up for training in a National Coal Board donkey jacket.  About 5 weeks had passed before he noticed that Brian Kilcline had changed the C to an O on the initials across the shoulders.

Finished watching Chernobyl last night. Fucking hell, it's a masterclass.

I've not watched a lot of TV in years, most of the big "prestige TV" passed me by, and I'd not really committed to a series in a long time - over the past couple of years I've done stuff like Twin Peaks, American Gods, and Good Omens - essentially continuations of, or adaptations of, properties I was already interested in, rather than committing to something new. I hadn't really gone all-in on a drama series since finishing The Wire years ago.

The only TV to really excite me in a long time was stuff like S3 of Twin Peaks, stuff that was experimental, weird, played around with the genre and did things you'd never seen on telly before. This is the first time probably since first getting hooked by The Wire that I've seen just pure drama bowl me over like that, brilliant stuff.

My only criticism is that the female scientist character they've created is a little too ideologically pure - an article in the New Yorker called her a "truth knower", which is pretty accurate. A lot of the failings of Chernobyl in reality were down to laziness and human fallibility, and she seemed to exist purely to force that into a narrative structure. Perhaps things would have been a little too muddled without her, or would have been even more irredeemably bleak, but she was the only part that felt overtly inauthentic. It reminded me of the Deborah Libstadt character in Denial being given a few uncomfortably heroic dialogue, just a little tone deaf and out of step with the rest of the story.

Everything else was incredible, though. Superbly acted, visually it felt so claustrophobic and oppressive, and made riveting TV out of at times very dry material - the courtroom scene in particular. The courtroom scene, and the rapid decline of the victims of radiation sickness, will stick with me for a long time.

22 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

My only criticism is that the female scientist character they've created is a little too ideologically pure - an article in the New Yorker called her a "truth knower", which is pretty accurate.

The postscript to the show says that she represents a cohort of scientists working on the research, which probably gives her a bland character. I can see why she was required for the screenplay though. I highly recommend the accompanying HBO Chernobyl podcast with the main writer who explains decisions like that very intelligently.

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

The postscript to the show says that she represents a cohort of scientists working on the research, which probably gives her a bland character. I can see why she was required for the screenplay though. I highly recommend the accompanying HBO ChernobyÔĽŅl pÔĽŅodcast with the main writer who¬†explains decisions like that very intelligently.

I'll definitely check that out.

I thought the postscript was fascinating, and as heartbreaking in its way as the whole series was. And I understand the need to have created her as a kind of composite character that the story probably required to give it a cohesive structure. 

It's just something of a pet hate in historical drama that there always seems to be one character capable of hindsight, who tends to share the morality or world-view of the audience, rather than what would be expected of the time. That she existed purely to represent a critical view of the party line took me out of the narrative a little, but it's a necessary evil to fit the narrative into 5 episodes, rather than a big sprawling mess looking at human fallibility. 

Been watching the latest series of Brooklyn Nine Nine. It has drastically reduced in quality. The writing is much worse, it seems a bit all over the place. They are trying to do a lot of character driven plot stuff that feels out of place, rushed and/or unearned. It still has its moments but overall it's a huge disappointment.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

On 6/11/2019 at 1:36 AM, Hannibal Scorch said:

All my Matt Berry loving friends have said Year of the Rabbit was fucking awful

Its... actually it's odd. Some bits are great, some bits are childish, some bits are sweary and some bits just oddball. The other half loves it. I find it something I enjoy and loath in equal measures. Much like Dead Pixels.

6 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Been watching the latest series of Brooklyn Nine Nine. It has drastically reduced in quality. The writing is much worse, it seems a bit all over the place. They are trying to do a lot of character driven plot stuff that feels out of place, rushed and/or unearned. It still has its moments but overall it's a huge disappointment.

I think that's maybe a bit drastically but it's definitely hit and miss at the moment. Overall I'm still into it and it wouldn't be hard to correct the ship. It's not like it's dropped off a cliff.

For the Chernobyl fans, BBC 4 on Sunday at 8pm is repeating a documentary about how they built a steel dome to stick on top the remains of the reactor a couple of years back. That might not sound like much except its not safe to build over the reactor so they had to build it to the side and then wheel it in place with millimeter accuracy. Oh, and at 36,000 tonnes it's the biggest thing that's ever been moved on land.

Been binge re-watching That 70s Show on Netflix all week as I've had the week off work. Still holds up in parts but a lot of the humor hasn't aged well, I'm at the early point in season 4 where Eric and Donna have split up but are rebuilding a friendship after a lot of frostiness, Fez is still the best character though, fight me