What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Awards Moderator

I just finished up Fosse/Verdon. I'm torn on it, performances are universally great, and the dancing is spectacular (duh). 

But it's too long by at least two episodes. Big chunks of it go by with no purpose. Which is a shame, 'cos Bob Fosse had a hell of a life. Watch it on 2x speed. 

Watchmen

I had high hopes considering (a) it's HBO and (b) the source material has been a favourite for many years.

Always tricky adapting something that is so loved, but it's been long enough since the movie that they were safe in taking their own twist on it and delivering a solid interpretation/reimagining/whatever we're calling it.

Without giving away too much - it had some familiarity with characters, but settings and motivations and just the general feel of it all is enough to make it feel like something worth watching.

In particular I enjoyed the direction, editing and the soundtrack. That's not to say that the acting wasn't great - the casting is really solid - but I came away feeling like the overall package was what made it a success. There's enough intrigue and mystery to keep my attention and I'd say it was better than I expected.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Watchmen

I had high hopes considering (a) it's HBO and (b) the source material has been a favourite for many years.

Always tricky adapting something that is so loved, but it's been long enough since the movie that they were safe in taking their own twist on it and delivering a solid interpretation/reimagining/whatever we're calling it.

Without giving away too much - it had some familiarity with characters, but settings and motivations and just the general feel of it all is enough to make it feel like something worth watching.

In particular I enjoyed the direction, editing and the soundtrack. That's not to say that the acting wasn't great - the casting is really solid - but I came away feeling like the overall package was what made it a success. There's enough intrigue and mystery to keep my attention and I'd say it was better than I expected.

How did it compare to the Saturday morning cartoon? 

I’ve just finished watching Bojack Horseman again including what is out of the new series and I’m going to put it as my favourite program all time for consistency and great story telling. It has built up brilliantly and had an actual influence on my life. I would have liked it to go nine seasons like Horsing Around, but it has been paced excellently. 

Prediction for the final episodes is that Bojack will drown and I’ll cry

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
On 10/24/2019 at 12:17 AM, SuperBacon said:

I’ve been rewatching Black Books and it really is one of the most underrated comedies ever.

The Big Lock Out episode stands up against any sitcom episode. It’s just a shame we’ll never know who co-wrote it with Dylan Moran.

It's fantastic, isn't it? Series 2 and 3 especially are the absolute dogs. 'Blood' and 'Elephants And Hens' are up there with the best.

The latest episode of Its Always Sunny is bloody excellent. “The Janitor Always Mops Twice”, shot in the style of a noir thriller and I’m sure some won’t like it, but personally I loved it.

Also watched all of This Way Up and my review is that anything with Aisling Bea is a straight 11/10.