What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Big Train is patchy as fuck, and Linehan was a contributer, him and Matthews didn't write the whole thing. 

I reckon the first series of Black Books is decent, then it goes to shit. I think Linehan was only involved in series 1, so I have to give him some credit for that. IT Crowd is almost complete bollocks though and Count Arthur Strong is an abomination. 

• Paid Members
On 11/3/2019 at 7:13 AM, scratchdj said:

I absolutely love Big Train 🙁

Unquestionably one of the best sketch shows of all time.

I watched an actual TV series from start to finish for the first time in about 15 years and it was Fleabag. Definitely one of the best things I've ever watched on film or TV, a series that's not only funny and affecting but that actually feels like it should have a genuine positive effect on the medium. It's just brilliant.

• Paid Members
On 11/2/2019 at 10:48 PM, gmoney said:

I reckon the first series of Black Books is decent, then it goes to shit. I think Linehan was only involved in series 1, so I have to give him some credit for that. IT Crowd is almost complete bollocks though and Count Arthur Strong is an abomination. 

Weird that as I find series one to be the weakest of the three. The dynamic and interplay between the characters is more fleshed out and biting after that initial six episodes. Very similar to how Blackadder's first series is terrible compared to the following three.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, JNLister said:

Watchmen viewers: there's a post-credits sequence on this week's episode (#8). Like literally after all several minutes of credits when any normal person has switched off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA-PbO1bnL0&feature=emb_logo

We've always watched until the end of the credits ... I could claim it's because the music playing over them is good, but honestly it's laziness because the controller's too far away. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, LaGoosh said:

It doesn't decline. It actually gets better.

This is no lie. I'm almost caught up and I'll be fucked if Brian Cox doesn't do the greatest sweary bastard since Al Swearengen. His delivery of "fuck off" and the word "No" are brilliant. At the end of the first series when

He embraces Kendall and calls him his best boy, even I believed him even though he's clearly only after getting what is best for him and his business.

It changes on an episodic basis because they're all twats but I think Tom is my favourite mostly due to his double act with Greg(ory) but like I said it could be any of them. But not Connor.

Edited by Mr_Danger

Paramount Network have been showing The Office (U.S.) and are now up to Season Nine.  I saw the first seven seasons years ago but found the last four episodes of Season Seven (after Michael Scott left) pretty uninspiring and had no real incline to search out the last two; with them now being on terrestrial TV thought I'd finally give them a whirl.

I didn't think much of Season Eight at all.  James Spader was okay as Robert, but Andy, the worst sales person of the lot, becoming Regional Manager?  The Florida arc was poor and also introduced us to the terrible Nellie (Catherine Tate), you had the completely unconvincing Andy and Erin relationship with two characters who have zero chemistry together, Nellie making herself "Regional Manager", while deadwood like Ryan, Kelly, Toby and Gabe are all still adding nothing to the show.

We're only a few episodes in but Season Nine has been so much better.  Ryan has finally gone (only four season's too late and he should've been binned after the Michael Scott Paper Company arc), as has Kelly, Jim is finally showing some ambition, there are hints of things not going so perfectly between him and Pam, there is a tease of something between Pete and Erin (a far more believable couple than her and Andy), Andy is actually acting like a boss and they appear to have toned down the moronic element of Kevin (something that they did do last season too).

Dwight is still my favourite character, ahead of Erin, the latter helped by the fact that her sister is one of the writers and you know which are Carrie Kemper episodes without even seeing the credits.  Just like Mindy Kaling penned episodes featured Kelly heavily, the Carrie Kemper ones are very Erin-centric.

Considering everything after the Sabre stuff (and especially after Michael Scott left) is absolutely awful, the final ever episode is brilliant. One of the very few long running shows that really stuck the ending of a show. 

I've been watching Upright, the show written and staring Tim Minchin. It's very much like a TV version of Hunt For The Wilderpeople but set driving through the outback rather than walking through a forest. It treads the fine line between drama and comedy brilliantly with some very funny, clever writing and some heart wrenching sad moments. It was on Sky Atlantic so it's on NowTV and well worth checking out.