What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

i really struggled to get through Season 1 of Gotham, there were times when i liked it but there were so many throw away episodes that it became a bit of a chore to watch...i'm 7 episodes into Season 2 on Netflix though and it's much better, show really seems to have found its feet and now focusses on one main story rather than having random stand-alone type episodes sprinkled in.

I watched all of series one and enjoyed it but understand the criticisms.

Never got around to catching the second series when it started, so hearing it's an improvement makes me more anxious to remedy that.

Are there still many TV shows just doing syndication-friendly standalone episodes these days? I know the Law&Order type procedural shows probably do, but on the whole, there's been a big shift to TV drama doing chapters of a long form story, right? I find it quite difficult now to go back to "villain of the week" stuff.

• Paid Members

Are there still many TV shows just doing syndication-friendly standalone episodes these days? I know the Law&Order type procedural shows probably do, but on the whole, there's been a big shift to TV drama doing chapters of a long form story, right? I find it quite difficult now to go back to "villain of the week" stuff.

My wife only watches those kind of shows, unfortunately they're still going. NCIS and Criminal Minds are two examples.

Is CSI still going? That's another one.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

Tuned into this show caller BBC Breakfast this morning. Absolute shite, they seem to repeat the episode every half hour. Was a bit like The Day Today, but without Chris Morris' razor sharp humour and crunchy face.

Did have a good single episode plotline though where the main character, Bill Turnbull, beat the shit into some battleaxe from Fraud Action. Brutal stuff. Blood everywhere. He then stripped down and bonked one of the weather forecasters before reaching vinegar with a noise like an immolated orangutan. I thought it was pretty lewd for a show at 7AM and will be writing to Points of View to note my wholehearted approval.

Edited by Gus Mears

My wife only watches those kind of shows, unfortunately they're still going. NCIS and Criminal Minds are two examples.

Is CSI still going? That's another one.

Hawaii Five-O seems to be that type of show, Blue Bloods is another.

The original CSI finished last year after 15 series. The last of the spin-offs (CSI:Cyber) was cancelled earlier this year after 2 series and Miami and New York finished a couple of years back, after 10 and 9 series respectively.

I used to watch the original series and Miami quite a bit when I was at Uni. It was proper switch off brain material. Every episode followed the exact same formula, if you hadn't worked the case out by the second ad break there was no hope for you

• Paid Members

Caught the first series of Detectorists yesterday after herding good things about it from friends. They weren't wrong! What a piece of gold of a show. Great performances pretty much across the board, though especially from Toby Jones and the woman who played the club president's wife, who made me laugh with every facial expression. I'll get series 2 watched soon. 

• Paid Members

I've been wrote off with nasal polyps and allergies and have a constant feeling like I want to sneeze but can't.

So in my misery I've been watching Malcolm in the Middle from start to finish. It's the greatest tv show of all time, particularly from Season 5 onwards...

The greatest TV show of all time.

• Moderators

Ha.. Funny that. I just started it from the beginning again for the third time last week, Scotty! Fantastic show. The reveal at the end of the big court case that gets Hal off the hook is one of my favourite moments of tv.

In terms of villain of the week shows, my favourite is Psych. No idea if they're still making it but I very much enjoy watching it at 9:30am after Frasier.

It has featured John Cena and Keanu.

Edited by Chest Rockwell