General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

I love Porco Rosso, though can see why others might not, as it's a bit more of a straightforward romp than Miyazaki normally produces. Part of his "excuses to draw planes" series. 

Princess Mononoke was my first Ghibli film, and my first anime movie, so I tend to recommend that - though it does suffer from one of Miyazaki's weaknesses in that sometimes it feels like the plot has got away from it a little, and he struggles to tie everything back together (though Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away both suffer from a similar kind of deus ex machina writing in places). It's also a little more violent than most of his films, so not necessarily indicative. It has a lot of themes that run through his work, though, chiefly environmentalism framed as a "man vs. nature" story, strong female protagonists and supporting characters, industrialism, and the sense of an idealised lost past. 

I'd probably go with My Neighbour Totoro as a foolproof first movie, though. No real conflict, just a thoroughly lovely, magical story. It was originally released as a double bill with Grave Of The Fireflies, so you could always attempt that as an introduction - though then the debate becomes the order in which to watch them; Totoro as a lovely warm-up for the bleakness to come, or as a palate cleanser to remind you that you can still have nice things? 

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Thanks all, I will probably start with My Neighbor Totoro as I know I can watch that with my kid. With how she feels about the current global crisis, i'll keep her away from Grave of the Fireflies and watch that later. Really glad they have the set. I always wanted to try and watch them, just never got round to it. Now I have the perfect excuse.

Been added over a couple of months rather than in one go:

Feb. 1: Castle in the Sky (1986), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989), Only Yesterday (1991), Porco Rosso (1992), Ocean Waves(1993), Tales from Earthsea (2006)

March 1: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984), Princess Mononoke (1997), My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), Spirited Away (2001), The Cat Returns (2002), Arrietty (2010), The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

April 1: Pom Poko (1994), Whisper of the Heart (1995), Howl's Moving Castle(2004), Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea(2008), From Up on Poppy Hill (2011), The Wind Rises (2013), When Marnie Was There (2014).

Shame that the set doesn’t include The Red Turtle, but I’m assuming that’s a rights issue due to it being a co-production with Wild Bunch

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Grave of the Fireflies was published by a different company.

yeah, seems to be a rights issue to do with the publisher of the original short story, rather than Ghibli. I had thought it was odd that Ocean Waves was on there, but hadn't picked up on there being one of the "main" films missing. 

They should get the rights to the original series as well - I've only ever seen Season 1 and would love to watch Season 2 before catching the more recent one.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

They should get the rights to the original series as well - I've only ever seen Season 1 and would love to watch Season 2 before catching the more recent one.

Well worth doing. The movie is very worth it too, and is great too. Infuriating and difficult, but really good. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I hate to be that prick, but has anyone seen if the Ghibli films on Netflix will be just the English language dubs or if the Japanese with subtitles will be an option? I can't seem to find out. 

A website isn’t the most reliable source but I imagine it could be the case. 

Edited by TheBurningRed