General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

It's really great to watch the Original versions if you can.

Laputa is one of my favourite films, and I've genuinely not seen it since I was a teenager so I'm stoked by this.

• Paid Members

Netflix's press release confirms that dubbed and subtitled options will be available, which is great. It's sacrilege to some fans, but I've watched more dubbed than subbed - the dubbing is usually pretty good for Ghibli movies, and if I'm watching with other people, or while I'm doing something else, I'll avoid subtitled films because it means I can afford to not 100% pay attention all the time.

• Paid Members

I've always gone dubbed with animation. Live action I always go for original language but with animation i just don't see why it should make any difference. I know it's sacrilege to some.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think Ghibli themselves oversee the casting of voices in different languages for their films. The fact is that many of them are kids films and dubbing should be available on them. We're not going to see Akira, after all.

Ive never got why some see dubs as sacrilege, or is it the movie version of being a vinyl wanker. .As @BomberPat said, the Ghibli dubs tend to pretty good, and the difference between the English dialogue and the Japanese subtitles is minimal, sometimes just been a few extra words.

So long as it’s performed well, unlike the English I heard a bit of for Ichi The Killer, what does it matter? Particularly for animation.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Ive never got why some see dubs as sacrilege, or is it the movie version of being a vinyl wanker.

Not at all. Kids films should be dubbed, for obvious reasons. Films aimed at adults have no reason to be dubbed.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Ive never got why some see dubs as sacrilege, or is it the movie version of being a vinyl wanker. .As @BomberPat said, the Ghibli dubs tend to pretty good, and the difference between the English dialogue and the Japanese subtitles is minimal, sometimes just been a few extra words.

So long as it’s performed well, unlike the English I heard a bit of for Ichi The Killer, what does it matter? Particularly for animation.

It's not that dubs aren't well performed - it's just that they're differently performed. The dub for My Neighbour Totoro is really good, but Mei in the original is an amazing performance - up there with Boo in Monsters Inc. 

It's not so much 'vinyl wanker' in terms of 'ah, the original is just better, yah, you can really hear the grain' - in terms of the audio, it's closer to talking about a cover version.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against films being dubbed so long as the performance is decent, or against watching films that are subtitled (my favourite film is subtitled) or anything like that. Only reason I asked was that I’ve come across people who will say “oh, I love Studio Ghibli, but i’ll only watch them in Japanese” as if the very idea that watching the English dub will lose them their cool points.

I do agree you Devon that kid’s films should dubbed, as you say, for obvious reasons

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

James Gunn, currently filming Suicide Squad 2 with John Cena has an incredibly high opinion of Big Match John;

"I think John is one of the best overall talents I've ever worked with - he's capable of dramatic depths I don't think any of his films have yet shown - and he's the BEST improvisational actor I've worked with by a country mile. Also, just a great dude."