General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Moderators

Why not link to the actual thing he wrote?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur

I don't even understand why articles about articles are even a thing (I mean, I do. But they are pointless unless there is actually some insight added, which 99% of the time there isn't)

Yeah that's much better put and even the most ardent of fan boys would struggle to find the sense in what he's saying there. They will though. The comparisson and difference to Hitchcock was especially clarifying.

Have the marvel kids started review bombing The Irishman yet? 

• Paid Members

I don't agree with all of the things he has put. I mean no emotion or element of risk is not true when you have a series of over 20 films over an 11 year period with the same actors playing those characters and there is character development.and you do grow some attachments to the characters. And I do love franchises.

However, they are works of art in a completely different way to your Hitchcock, Anderson, Del Toro, Coppola, Scorsese's. But my favorite films, the ones that have had the longest lasting effect on me are probably Eighth Grade and Rocketman. And sure, I know Rocketman is not a small budget film, but nor did it feel like a studio tentpole either. And what I have noted is like with Eighth Grade, Booksmart and The Peanut Butter Falcon (which I will try to finally watch this week) is the struggle to get a decent time to see those films at my local multiplex even on opening weekend. Maybe we should adopt a system similar to the french where there has to be an allocation allowed for local films to be shown and reducing the number of imports.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

There's absolutely a sense that there's no real element of risk, well to any half informed adult. Look at Infinity War, nobody should give a fuck about all those guys disappearing because audiences being aware of sequels and how massive coporations treat their assets means you know they'll all be back. 

What Scorsese does miss is that these are kids films and a lot of his criticisms about the creative content of them are through the eyes of an old artist. Out of Hugo and Ant Man I know which one my kids would rather see.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

There's absolutely a sense that there's no real element of risk, well to any half informed adult. Look at Infinity War, nobody should give a fuck about all those guys disappearing because audiences being aware of sequels and how massive coporations treat their assets means you know they'll all be back. 

What Scorsese does miss is that these are kids films and a lot of his criticisms about the creative content of them are through the eyes of an old artist. Out of Hugo and Ant Man I know which one my kids would rather see.

Your not wrong. I tried to get my daughter to watch Hugo but she got bored. Which is a shame as I think it's really underrated.