General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Moderators

Everyone shut the fuck up. Something important is happening. The first film of the On Cinema At the Cinema canon has released it's trailer. I was personally hoping for a 4 hour documentary about the Victorville Film Archive but it'll do. Extra points for Gregg Turkington wearing a popcorn classic promotional cap.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I give it 5 bags of popcorn and a sequel which is a documentary about the VFA

Ā 

So fucking hyped for this though.Ā 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
Just now, Factotum said:

Maybe, but I think its great that Taika is getting his due and that its getting that buzz. A genuinely great talent.

He is, but he's developed that reputation and respect as filmmaker, and his films have been critically acclaimed, without 'Oscar buzz'. It shows how meaningless they are in 2019 (or 2020, as will be the case here). An Oscar run or campaign for him won't tell anybody anything they don't already know. I like him and I loved Hunt for the Wilderpeople especially but he doesn't need the sort of false acclaim Oscar nominations or wins bring.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Maybe, but I think its great that Taika is getting his due and that its getting that buzz. A genuinely great talent.

Completely agree. Hunt for the Wilderpeople was a lovely little film. Most of his output so far has been excellent and Thor Ragnarok is one of my favourite MCU films because of it. So glad he's getting a second crack of the whip with that as well.Ā 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I would respectfully disagree on that given how Oscar nominations still bring a lot of attention to films that maybe some people wouldn't otherwise see.

Do they? Nobody went to see Roma during its cinema run and Vice was a box office flop, despite getting best picture nominations. Waititi just made a superhero film that, I assume, did great business. All they need to do is stick "from the director of Thor and Hunt for the Wilderpeople" on the poster and it would do the same job.

Watched the trailer for bad boys for life this morning and after waiting years for this to happen I'm slightly disappointed looking at the trailer but I'll hope and pray it is better than that would have you believe

My one take away though and it really hurt my brain Martin lawrence gets fat then smaller again in different clips and it just looks fucking odd

• Paid Members

I can't believe people still debate that there's any worth to the Oscars nowadays, they're dry and they've been embarrassing for years. Maybe if you're a lesser known actor or making a short film or documentary it's a boost butĀ if I was a tenth as successful as taika waititi I wouldn't give a shit about any perceivedĀ rub the academy couldĀ give me.