General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

10 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

There's a really good thread on the cookdandbombd forum about it too. I am on Team Auteur 

I bet they're pissed at how The Day Shall Come was stripped from Odeon cinemas at the last minute, I was talking to someone who worked at the chain for years and they said it's not too uncommon for them to just not show a film if it doesn't sell amazingly at an advance screening, which this film got.

• Paid Members

That is proper shit but it's not as uncommon as you'd think. Lionsgate are sitting on literally hundreds of horror films that they refuse to make available or license.

• Paid Members
Just now, Steve Justice said:

For what purpose? Surely they get a cut of the profits if they're screened at indies and such like?

It's to look good to investors I think. They buy whole libraries and sit on them to drive up stock. Makes my piss boil that all those films are just wasting away. If they would just license the fuckers to someone like Vineager Syndrome or Arrow we could a huge wave of brilliant films that haven't seen the light of day since VHS.

• Paid Members
On 10/24/2019 at 11:34 AM, Factotum said:

The Weinsteisns were funded by Disney during the supposed 'glory years' of Miramax picking up the filmmaker driven films. Disney pretty much left them alone. 

Missed this a few days ago. The reason Disney left them alone is because they knew they could rely on the Weinsteins to carve up films on their behalf.

Missed this a few days ago. The reason Disney left them alone is because they knew they could rely on the Weinsteins to carve up films on their behalf.

Not really. I don't know if you've read it but Peter Biskind's book about it 'Down And Dirty Pictures' Its a pretty good summing up of the Disney/Miramax dynamic

• Paid Members

It's looking like Terminator Dark Fate will take a loss of 100 mil in its theatrical run, it was alright as well. 

I think it's a case of reboot burnout. A good Terminator sequel with James Cameron etc back should be a license to print money, but after terminator 3 and salvation being so shit and genisys being so shit and so recent it's so easy to not care about it . Flop reboots/sequels of robocop/predator/Rambo and stuff don't help either. I guess this is the end of the line for Terminator for a long time at least. RIP

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle