General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Mid 90’s just hit Netflix. Never caught it at the cinema. Anyone seen it? It’s what I imagine Kids would be like if it had been made now and by a less creepy director.

There's a scene where a 12 year old boy makes out with a 24 year old woman, and Harmony Korine, one of Larry Clark's devotees, does a cameo. I'd say Jonah Hill has the creepiness nailed.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

There's a scene where a 12 year old boy makes out with a 24 year old woman, and Harmony Korine, one of Larry Clark's devotees, does a cameo. I'd say Jonah Hill has the creepiness nailed.

I’ve never seen Kids, but I knew they were having sex in that film but now you’ve pointed it out... Eek. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anbody else seen  Flick Vault on Youtube? Scum turned up in my recommendations. I've had a quick gander at the channel. A fair few documentaries, some concert films and old horror stuff. https://www.youtube.com/user/ExpozaFilm/videos

• Paid Members

Really good article here about the success of Knives Out and why it's done so well, and encouraging news at the end of it about a possible sequel too. I don't think we'll actually see Rian Johnson do any more Star Wars stuff, he's better off out of that toxic environment.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/knives-out-box-office-daniel-craig-rian-johnson-1202820693/

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Really good article here about the success of Knives Out and why it's done so well, and encouraging news at the end of it about a possible sequel too. I don't think we'll actually see Rian Johnson do any more Star Wars stuff, he's better off out of that toxic environment.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/knives-out-box-office-daniel-craig-rian-johnson-1202820693/

Getting my order in

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Superb news! Coming to UK Netflix on February 1st, which basically justifies the cost of my subscription for a long while to come.

I still haven't watched When Marnie Was There or The Tale Of Princess Kaguya, so this is giving me that opportunity, though I'll probably just rewatch Porco Rosso for the millionth time instead.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Superb news! Coming to UK Netflix on February 1st, which basically justifies the cost of my subscription for a long while to come.

I still haven't watched When Marnie Was There or The Tale Of Princess Kaguya, so this is giving me that opportunity, though I'll probably just rewatch Porco Rosso for the millionth time instead.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is a wonderful film but not as showy as some of Ghibli's others, so it doesn't quite get the level of attention.

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is a wonderful film but not as showy as some of Ghibli's others, so it doesn't quite get the level of attention.

I've seen clips, and absolutely adore the art style. As much of a fan of Miyazaki as I am, I tend to find that Takahata's are the films that leave me more affected, and finding more to think about and obsess over for days afterward. I also just love that he has a much freer approach to art direction, and see the style of Kaguya as a bit of a continuation of his prior work - from the transformation sequences of Pom Poko, to the Yamadas, to Kaguya, just testing what's possible when you think outside the box of what's "accepted" in animation.

Spirited Away is a good start if you just wish to be blown away. Same with Howl's Moving Castle. For pure magical enjoyment, you can't go wrong with Totoro, or Castle in the Sky. Or Grave of the Fireflies, should you wish to be scarred for life, in the best way possible. Maybe not as an entry into Ghibli though.

If you're crushing on some simple stories, beautifully presented, Marnie, Poppy Hill, Whisper of the Heart and the Wind Rises are splendid.  

The only duds for me were Porco Rosso and Earthsea.