General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Do they? Nobody went to see Roma during its cinema run and Vice was a box office flop, despite getting best picture nominations. Waititi just made a superhero film that, I assume, did great business. All they need to do is stick "from the director of Thor and Hunt for the Wilderpeople" on the poster and it would do the same job.

Of course it isn't an exact science, and we can cite examples. Vice also suffered from middling reviews which never helps.

ROMA was on Netflix, so its theatrical run would be limited to people like myself who wanted to see it on the big screen. Oscar Nominations do still have a cache. Yeah stick Thor on it is going to shift some tickets, but nobody went to see The Judge and that had Tony Stark in it. Oscar 'buzz' is still seen as a way to re-release a film to maximize profits. If you combine that with strong reviews, it usually works.

Ā 

it's a boost butĀ if I was a tenth as successful as taika waititi I wouldn't give a shit about any perceivedĀ rub the academy couldĀ give me.

Its mainly in the eyes of the studios who still see this as a sign. I know we don't give a shit, but they still do. As someone who works for a studio I can tell you, Oscar campaigns are planned long in advance and are still prioritised.

Edited by Factotum

I don't know what you mean by this. A sign that Waititi is a good director or could make them money?

Apologies should have been clearer. Yes they will see this as a sign that his original films are worth funding. The money he makes with the larger pictures obviously helps, but an Oscar nomination with being bankable is a huge credit on a Directors card and means that they will put the effort in in terms of release, marketing and the freedom he gets to make his original, personal films. To be honest, you're correct on a lot of what you said, perhaps I just went into this a bit much!

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

How do you feel about Chinese Democracy? I seem to be one of the few people I know that actually like it.

+1 here. Liked it when it came out and it grew on me over time, if anything.

JoJo Rabbit looks amazing. if it lives up to the promise, it could really be something special.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

+1 here. Liked it when it came out and it grew on me over time, if anything.

JoJo Rabbit looks amazing. if it lives up to the promise, it could really be something special.

Ā 

That album really is underrated by everyone tbh.....it was absolutely ripped apart by everyone when it was released because of a load of shit that surrounded the release and whatnot...it's not the best but it's not the worst also tbh there are a couple of bangers on it tbh

• Paid Members

Warning -Ā  this is another crap trailer that gives away a butt load of the plot. Here's the trailer for the second remake of Black Christmas..

I dunno man, I'm in the bag for absolutely any slasher film so I'm definitely going to see it but straying so far from the original doesn't sit well with me. Having said that the first remake was absolute garbage so maybe its for the best. I don't need it to be as good as the original I just need an entertaining and competent slasher movie. The trailer seems to indicate it goes a bit Russo.

• Paid Members

April Fools Day is great. I've been gagging for a bluray for years now. Sadly I may just have to give in and watch my old DVD.Ā 

• Paid Members

https://screenrant.com/paul-feig-dark-army-movie-universal-monsters/

They're determined to make this Dark Universe thing work, aren't they? I really like Paul Feig even though I'm not terribly excited about Last Christmas. For the reason of him directing it,Ā I'd look forward to watching this, but I just fucking want Spy 2.

• 1 month later...