General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

I would say studio's trying to build franchises is a big part of the problem. There's a ton of ways for creative film makers to get a film made and distributed but the cinema shouldn't be an exclusive blockbuster hub. Disney making dumb kids movies aimed at adults is fine, I enjoy a fair few myself, I just wish cinemas didn't fill so many screens with the shite.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I would say studio's trying to build franchises is a big part of the problem. There's a ton of ways for creative film makers to get a film made and distributed but the cinema shouldn't be an exclusive blockbuster hub. Disney making dumb kids movies aimed at adults is fine, I enjoy a fair few myself, I just wish cinemas didn't fill so many screens with the shite.

In my 16 screen cinema, Lion King was on in 10 of them. And that’s why I never got to see Stuber, but I had to sit through that piece of shit. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I'd be willing to put money on Disney striking a deal with a chain sometime in the next couple of years where they only run [insert new cape film here] for the first couple of weeks or so, with no other film being screened. There's nothing good to be gained from their domination of cinema.

• Paid Members

This is unexpected.

https://screenrant.com/searching-2-sequel-director-aneesh-chaganty/

Quite happy to see it will be a new story entirely although I will miss John Cho, who is great. Not sure if they can sustain the gimmick again if that's the route they choose, but the original was excellent so I'm interested in this.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'd be willing to put money on Disney striking a deal with a chain sometime in the next couple of years where they only run [insert new cape film here] for the first couple of weeks or so, with no other film being screened. There's nothing good to be gained from their domination of cinema.

Disney spat their dummies a few years ago when they wanted to shorten the delay between cinema and home release of ( I think ) Alice in Wonderland 2 and a couple of cinema chains threatened to just not show the film. If the Disney monopoly doesn’t end in cinema release times being shortened, dual cinema and home release or Disney actually ending up controlling the release schedule for everyone then I’d be shocked. 

On 8/15/2019 at 12:13 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

Missing Link made $25 million at the box office off a $100 million budget. How are companies like Laika meant to keep going and make these wonderful films when Disney is offering no gaps in the release schedule for these films to get seen?

I don't know anything to do with the politics of Disney and their rivals. However I thought Missing Link was rubbish, and that probably had more to do with it bombing than any other reason. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

http://www.darkhorizons.com/vaughn-newton-to-lead-blumhouse-horror/

Vince Vaughn as a deranged serial killer and a teenage girl swap bodies, from the people that brought you happy death day. Really like the sound of this, the first happy death day was great and I'm a fan of Rob Schneider's the hot chick which has a relatively similar premise.