General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

This might well break the UKFF. Zack Snyder is making a new movie, it's a zombie movie, it's got Big Dave in!

Ha, You lot must be so conflicted. I'm intrigued. Does Big Dave have big enough star power to get you positive about a Zack Snyder zombie movie? In fairness Dawn Of The Dead was remarkable but it was a long ass time ago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

http://whatculture.com/film/25-huge-movies-disney-just-cancelled

A lot of these sound bad but the bigger picture is that Disney cancelled 200+ films that Fox had in the pipeline, a lot of which would have been under the Fox Searchlight umbrella. I fucking hate Disney and I always have.

• Paid Members

Supply and demand though. That’s what I’m always told. 

As to the 200 films Disney cancelled, that’s common. How many do you actually think would have actually got made? Every studio does it. I just think your hatred of Disney is amplifying it

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

This year has been brutal because of Disney. Fair play, they're killing it, but it's proper annoying when a smaller film you want to see is barely shown and on the shit screen because Splashman needs to be shown every 30 minutes, taking up all the screens.

Yep. They've made more money in the first 7 months of this year through box office than any studio has ever made in a whole year, which is what happens when they own about a fifth of the ENTIRE movie industry.

We should take into consideration, too, that only two standalone films have made $100 million+ at the box office for the WHOLE of 2019, and I don't see many in the rest of the year to add to that number. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Missing Link made $25 million at the box office off a $100 million budget. How are companies like Laika meant to keep going and make these wonderful films when Disney is offering no gaps in the release schedule for these films to get seen?

• Paid Members

Missing Link came out 7 weeks after Dumbo, 4 weeks after Captain Marvel. Disney had nothing to do with it bombing, blame the lack of marketing and the fact, other then Coraline and Kubo, there are visually impressive, yet boring. And while I obviously do like Disney, I’ll happily call them out if it’s required https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4502&p=s.htm

This from when Kubo came out

Finishing fourth with an estimated $12.6 million is Focus and Laika's Kubo and the Two Strings, which also received a strong, "A" CinemaScore from opening day audiences. While Laika is pretty much always guaranteed an Oscar nomination at the end of the year, this is the lowest wide opening release for any of the studio's five feature films, which have shown dwindling multipliers over the course of their last three releases. 

While 2009's Coraline opened with $16.8 million and went on to deliver a 4.5 multiplier, finishing its domestic run with $75.2 million, 2014's The Boxtrolls opened with $17.27 million, but only finished with just over $50 million. Should Kubo follow the Boxtrolls' path it would mean a domestic haul somewhere around $37 million. 

Kubo also opened in eight international territories this weekend, bringing in an estimated $900,000. The film releases around the world over the next few months.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah @Devon Malcolm you Disney hater!!!! Why won’t you just let the behemoth live!!!

Look, Disney needs some taking down, I can attest to that. I love Marvel films, as I grew up on Marvel comics and cartoons. But I get why people get annoyed by them because they are juggernauts. 

Disney’s live action is a disgrace. Most of these live action re-imaginings are bullshit, though I thought Dumbo and Aladdin were actually pretty decent. But it’s all remakes now: the with Disney going CGI for their animated films I actually get confused with what is Disney and what is Pixar.

the problem is no studio seems to be able to compete or make a franchise. Universal have Fast and Furious and nothing else, after they killed the dark universe they announced prior to The Mummy. Even Dreamworks don’t seem to have any proper franchises now they have ended Dragons. Fox has Avatar, Sony is still heavily reliant on Spider-man and Bond. They should all take more risks to try and stop the juggernaut.