Paid Members Supremo Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 I was genuinely shocked to discover when I grew up that Last Action Hero wasn’t lauded by critics as the masterpiece it so clearly is. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 14 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: Always amazes me that they still have a show at Universal based on Waterworld. It's a lot of fun but how many people even know what it is now? I guess the show is good enough by itself to exist. Oddly, with the world in the state it's in now, it's probably more relevant now than it was on release. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 Yeah it really is. Some great stuff in there. Quote
kidzero Posted August 14 Posted August 14 7 minutes ago, Supremo said: I was genuinely shocked to discover when I grew up that Last Action Hero wasn’t lauded by critics as the masterpiece it so clearly is. That's an classic I seen it in the cinema when it first came out...im very fond of... end of days... another over the top nonsense Arnie classic Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 I think time has been kind to Last Action Hero, it's probably better critically received now than when it came out. I echo the 1998 Godzilla. It's shit, but it was the first film I saw in a big cinema - my local cinema in Beverley was the Picturehouse, a little independent place that was stuck in a bit of a timewarp, it looked like something out of the 1950s, and still had a little old lady coming around selling ice creams from a tray during the trailers. It probably showed all kinds of interesting films, but as a kid, all I knew is that it took forever to get the big budget releases, usually only ending up there once the bigger cinemas were done with them. But for Godzilla, my friends' Mum took us all to see it at Cineworld in Hull, which felt positively space age in comparison. I loved it! It's also a film that felt like it was on Sky all the time, so I must have watched at least bits of it dozens of times, and I still find it quite a comforting watch despite it being objectively awful. My favourite nonsensical bit of writing is when they figure that Godzilla must eat fish, so they pile up a load of fish in the middle of New York...to lure Godzilla back out of...the sea, presumably? Where I can't imagine it was short of fish. I never quite got my head around where Godzilla was able to disappear to halfway through the film, or why it did. There's a lot of really, really bad films I've watched a lot - proper Mystery Science Theater 3000 stuff - because I used to put films on late at night knowing I would most likely fall asleep halfway through, as I struggle to get to sleep without background noise. I'd always rather put on a film I didn't care too much whether I missed some of it or not, so usually went for something entertainingly bad. Quote
Chili Posted August 14 Posted August 14 13 minutes ago, BomberPat said: I think time has been kind to Last Action Hero, it's probably better critically received now than when it came out. I echo the 1998 Godzilla. It's shit, but it was the first film I saw in a big cinema - my local cinema in Beverley was the Picturehouse, a little independent place that was stuck in a bit of a timewarp, it looked like something out of the 1950s, and still had a little old lady coming around selling ice creams from a tray during the trailers. It probably showed all kinds of interesting films, but as a kid, all I knew is that it took forever to get the big budget releases, usually only ending up there once the bigger cinemas were done with them. But for Godzilla, my friends' Mum took us all to see it at Cineworld in Hull, which felt positively space age in comparison. I loved it! It's also a film that felt like it was on Sky all the time, so I must have watched at least bits of it dozens of times, and I still find it quite a comforting watch despite it being objectively awful. My favourite nonsensical bit of writing is when they figure that Godzilla must eat fish, so they pile up a load of fish in the middle of New York...to lure Godzilla back out of...the sea, presumably? Where I can't imagine it was short of fish. I never quite got my head around where Godzilla was able to disappear to halfway through the film, or why it did. There's a lot of really, really bad films I've watched a lot - proper Mystery Science Theater 3000 stuff - because I used to put films on late at night knowing I would most likely fall asleep halfway through, as I struggle to get to sleep without background noise. I'd always rather put on a film I didn't care too much whether I missed some of it or not, so usually went for something entertainingly bad. "That's a lot of fish" Also, I mean nobody could have known what would happen, but it's mad to see a film date itself with a line like "the worst act of destruction in New York since the World Trade Center bombing" Quote
davertfnewman Posted August 14 Posted August 14 Street Fighter - the new movie with the wrestlers in it won't touch it for fun. Quote
Merzbow Posted August 14 Posted August 14 Big Money Hustlas, by any normal metric it's a dreadful film but it has so much heart and the majority of the comedy still lands with me despite it being corny as hell. It's not secretly a Dadaist masterpiece like Freddy Got Fingered but it's in the same realm of bad comedy I can rewatch at least a couple of times a year, I'll nver part with my copy I bought from an ICP show in 2007. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted August 14 Posted August 14 I have a fondness for 2000s teen movies and/or romcoms which mostly can't be described as good. Stuff like Get Over It and John Tucker Must Die. These days it's quite fun just watching them back and seeing who's in them and where they've gone since, although obviously not good for some of them. Who thought Van Wilder would own Wrexham these days hey. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 Superman 3 for me, I think. Christopher Reeve as drunk Superman, the fight with Clark Kent is well done to say it was the 80s, and Pamela Stephenson looks better than she has any right doing. The rest of it is dumb, plus Richard Pryor is literally and figuratively wasted. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted August 14 Members Posted August 14 5 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said: One that’s pretty widely considered bad that I love is Dracula: Dead and Loving It. Most would tell you it’s terrible and one of Mel Brooks’ worst. We got it out of the video shop when I was about 8, it was the first Mel Brooks thing I’d seen, and I thought it was hilarious. The staking scene still gets me every time. This, but Robin Hood: Men In Tights. I am certain it was straight to video in the UK, and I honestly have no idea how I'd have known about it, or Mel Brooks, at 9 years old but I was bought the VHS and absolutely rinsed it. I watched it a while ago and yeah it's crap, but I love it, and Amy Yasbeck as Maid Marian is so fit. One of my first crushes. Every so often when I cross a road I'll still say to myself "Jay walking" in the style of Isaac Hayes, and at 9 I definitely didn't know what that was. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said: I have a fondness for 2000s teen movies and/or romcoms which mostly can't be described as good. Stuff like Get Over It and John Tucker Must Die. These days it's quite fun just watching them back and seeing who's in them and where they've gone since, although obviously not good for some of them. Who thought Van Wilder would own Wrexham these days hey. I'm a 2000s romcom / comedy apologist too, even utter tripe like What Happens in Vegas and Employee Of The Month gets a thumbs up from me. Another genre I unashamedly love is the 'watch it on a Sunday with your mam and a cup of tea' genre for lack of a better word. Stuff like the Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society, or those Marigold Hotel ones. Quote
Cousin Jim Bob Posted August 14 Posted August 14 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: This, but Robin Hood: Men In Tights. I am certain it was straight to video in the UK, and I honestly have no idea how I'd have known about it, or Mel Brooks, at 9 years old but I was bought the VHS and absolutely rinsed it. I watched it a while ago and yeah it's crap, but I love it, and Amy Yasbeck as Maid Marian is so fit. One of my first crushes. Every so often when I cross a road I'll still say to myself "Jay walking" in the style of Isaac Hayes, and at 9 I definitely didn't know what that was. Definitely was on at the cinema as I went to see it with some mates at the time. I was quite enjoying it, but my friends wanted to leave after 10 minutes. It's still the only film I have ever walked out of at the cinema. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted August 14 Members Posted August 14 38 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said: I'm a 2000s romcom / comedy apologist too, even utter tripe like What Happens in Vegas and Employee Of The Month gets a thumbs up from me. Yeah, any old 90s and 00s comedy/romcom shit I'll sit through. Loser, Accepted, Fifty First Dates, all of it. 28 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said: It's still the only film I have ever walked out of at the cinema Second Matrix for me. Still went back for the third one though didn't I. Dickhead. On the earlier subject of 90s kids guff like Baby's Day Out (quality obviously) Dunston Checks In was a particular VHS favourite of mine. As was another that's popped into my head, Lightning Jack! What a pile of absolute shit. I think I made one of my sisters take me to the cinema to see it. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.