HandsomeButchIII Posted August 16 Posted August 16 (edited) Grease 2 is the only real Grease. Also, The Ups and Downs of a Handyman. Has a great theme song, and those 70's style tits you never see anymore. Edited August 16 by HandsomeButchIII Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted August 17 Paid Members Posted August 17 Ups and Downs was a rival to the Robin Asquith Confessions series back then wasn't it? Or was it more The Mechanic to Confessions Transporter? Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted August 17 Paid Members Posted August 17 On 8/15/2026 at 9:24 PM, Chest Rockwell said: Fucking hell. For limp bizkit to be the high point of anything the rest of it must be seriously bad. I think you better quit, talking that shit... or you'll be leaving with a fat lip! Weirdest part of Mission Impossible 2 is Anthony Hopkins incredibly misogynistic IMF chief cameo. Quote
BarryOVega Posted August 17 Posted August 17 12 hours ago, weevil said: here's the godzilla trailer. i think it was shot just for the trailer, and never intended as part of the film. Pretty sure I saw that before Men In Black in the summer of '97, always thought it was just dick swinging to show how much bigger Godzilla was compared to Spielberg's big bad, especially with Lost World being out that summer Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted August 17 Paid Members Posted August 17 if we're doing Bonds, it's Live and Let Die. Cynical, racist, daft, the worst fashion sense of any Bond film. But Baron Samedi is still fucking great, and it's a fun time. Quote
Merzbow Posted August 17 Posted August 17 Is Showgirls too obvious now that it's hit that major reappraisal moment in the past few years with some calling it a misunderstood classic, I still think it's kinda bad by Verhoeven standards but I enjoy it immensely and put it in the top third of my 90's erotic thrillers while still being far behind the likes of Exotica and Crash. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted August 17 Paid Members Posted August 17 11 minutes ago, Merzbow said: Is Showgirls too obvious now that it's hit that major reappraisal moment in the past few years with some calling it a misunderstood classic, I still think it's kinda bad by Verhoeven standards but I enjoy it immensely and put it in the top third of my 90's erotic thrillers while still being far behind the likes of Exotica and Crash. Hilarious to me that people would say it was a misunderstood classic, but it is utterly fascinating, batshit, beautifully crafted disaster. Completely killed the NC-17 rating in America as a commercial option too. Quote
Merzbow Posted August 17 Posted August 17 (edited) 4 minutes ago, gmoney said: Completely killed the NC-17 rating in America as a commercial option too. You just know Paul's saw that as a badge of honour, too. You Must Remember This did a great podcast series on that entire era of erotic cinema and obviously a big part is about that, a must listen as Karina Longworth knows her shit. https://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/2023/erotic-90s-archive Edited August 17 by Merzbow Quote
Chili Posted August 17 Posted August 17 Showgirls isn't some underrated gem. It's a bad movie but in an absolutely fascinating and completely watchable way, so I'm not surprised it got a cult following. If people like it for being kitche shite, they're correct. Anyone thinking it's something more is trying way too hard. I'd group it with something like Mommy Dearest. Utter dogrel, but immensely watchable for everything around it. Thinking it's a masterpiece is just stroking your chin too hard. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted August 17 Paid Members Posted August 17 I thought Mommy Dearest was great when I watched it a few years ago. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted August 17 Paid Members Posted August 17 Stop, Or My Mom Will Shoot. Its a bad film. No, its terrible. But I love it as it was my first solo cinema trip. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted August 18 Paid Members Posted August 18 21 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said: Stop, Or My Mom Will Shoot. Its a bad film. No, its terrible. But I love it as it was my first solo cinema trip. Not sure if it's made up after the fact but the best thing is Arnie talking up how much he wanted to do this film just so Sly would swoop in and take it, when Arnie knew it was a pile of dung. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.