Paid Members Jazzy G Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 Blues Brother is a great movie. Blues Brothers 2000 is the same movie, with a lot of the same jokes and set pieces, but done worse. Still some great musical numbers though, and that blues supergroup they take on in the final battle of the bands is impressive Quote
Chili Posted August 14 Posted August 14 (edited) Another type of film I love that I hope more people might have examples of is the low budget Brit flick. Not that Craig Fairbrass tax write off bollocks, but shit like I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle with shagger Neil Morrissey and basically most of the Boon cast. I always like seeing stuff like that, Neil's also in Up 'n Under with a genuinely good cast of Gary Olsen, Tony Slattery, Brian Glover and Sam Janus in a shower. Along with the Morrissey (not that one) connection I'd also make a mention of Staggered, a Martin Clunes starring vehicle that bares an incredibly similar plot to the Rik Mayall Presents episode Dancing Queen, of which Clunes is in both. Edited August 14 by Chili Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 Staggered is just stupid. It is funny in places, but nobody ever needs to see Griff Rhys Jones in fetish gear, even for comic effect. Quote
The Gaffer Posted August 14 Posted August 14 The whole pantheon of post-Matrix nu metal movies that came out around the turn of the millennium that sometimes pretended to say stuff about gnosticism but were really just about the hottest people on the planet shooting at each other. Dracula 2000, The One, Resident Evil, Equilibrium. Take your pick. They're all absolutely awful but I thought they were the coolest shit ever when I used to stay up until midnight to watch the unedited Smack My Bitch Up video on Kerrang and they're still all comfort movies to me. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 16 minutes ago, The Gaffer said: .Dracula 2000, The One, Resident Evil, Equilibrium. I assume you can include Ultraviolet in this genre, but I can't say for sure because I've never made it past the first 10 minutes. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 1 hour ago, Chili said: Blues Brothers is my legit favourite film. It's not the best, but it's my favourite, I always thought it was genuinely well revered. In which case I hope you've read this (Amazon link for convenience, please buy wherever you deem appropriate): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blues-Brothers-Friendship-American-Classic/dp/0802160980 About as comprehensive a history of the film you can get, and acts as a history of Aykroyd and Belushi and by association Saturday Night Live too. Read it earlier this year and loved it. The film was a mixed bag for reviews, but audiences loved it. It grew and grew by word of mouth and kept adding new screens every week. But on VHS it absolutely exploded as it was in the right place at the right time. Absolutely not a flop, nor a bad film (a top 3 for me easily). Quote
davertfnewman Posted August 14 Posted August 14 Watched this a few months ago. Lots of problems with the writing and includes the absurdity of things like poison bite via blow job but is a lot of fun. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 Raised on 80s films from the video shop there’s a special place in my heart for crap like BMX Bandits. IYKYK. Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 I love Blues Brothers but my mates think it's rotten so maybe that's why I think it's not as well received But @Onyx2I'll be taking a look at that book for sure. Quote
Chili Posted August 14 Posted August 14 51 minutes ago, Onyx2 said: In which case I hope you've read this (Amazon link for convenience, please buy wherever you deem appropriate): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blues-Brothers-Friendship-American-Classic/dp/0802160980 About as comprehensive a history of the film you can get, and acts as a history of Aykroyd and Belushi and by association Saturday Night Live too. Read it earlier this year and loved it. The film was a mixed bag for reviews, but audiences loved it. It grew and grew by word of mouth and kept adding new screens every week. But on VHS it absolutely exploded as it was in the right place at the right time. Absolutely not a flop, nor a bad film (a top 3 for me easily). I hope one day the print with the longer scenes ends up arriving somewhere. There's stuff in the original trailers that don't even exist in the extended version. There's a load of stuff they filmed to cut it down, then the cut more down but the later stuff was reinserted. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 3 hours ago, SuperBacon said: Dunston Checks In Great example. Another I watched on repeat. Quote
Fog Dude Posted August 14 Posted August 14 6 hours ago, DavidB6937 said: Who thought Van Wilder would own Wrexham these days hey. Well, he's not in the sequel The Rise of Taj and I enjoy that one more, so read into that what you will. It's mostly silly and nonsensical and gross but there's a kernel of a point about classism and racism at elite British universities in there somewhere. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted August 14 Paid Members Posted August 14 3 hours ago, The Gaffer said: The One Fuck, forgot about that. Love that film. Slightly prefer Danny The Dog though as a 'film'. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted August 14 Posted August 14 Any of the 'Proper' American Pie films, up to The Wedding. Also throw in Love Actually. Definitely a guilty pleasure film for me Quote
wordsfromlee Posted August 14 Posted August 14 I used to love catching this on TV back when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I knew it was shit even back then but as a child I seemed to be really into cop movies like this, Police Academy, Robocop. I haven't seen it in what must be 25 years now and I'm too nervous to rewatch it because it's probably even worse than I remember and I won't enjoy it even in a nostalgic way. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.