Paid Members 2Xtreme_lives Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 (edited) The big talking point and I fully agree is the ads and corporate ruining the event too Apparently all superstars who won their matches were those sponsored or associated to a sponser as part of the match or have featured in the campaigns LA Knight: RAM Liv: Fortnight advert and winning sponsored match Gunther : 'General Insurance' Cody 'Wheatley' Bodes well for night 2 🙄 Edited April 19 by 2Xtreme_lives Quote
TheScarlettChad Posted April 19 Posted April 19 I'll watch night two. Tomorrow at a reasonable time because I feel like a fucking fool staying up for that. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted April 19 Posted April 19 1 hour ago, I Bent My Wookie said: I'm in the mindset I'll watch tonight anyhow and as long as @DavidB6937 is enjoying himself, I don't mind not getting a few hours of extra sleep if I don't rate it because at least he's having a belting time. Thank you. I'm not reading too much at the moment as it's obviously a far bigger experience as a whole for me, so nothing will take away from all of that 🙂 Quote
The Reverend Posted April 19 Posted April 19 (edited) Didn't stay until the end. Too bloody long. Had they trimmed all the ads etc. I could've been sending up some Tom Zenks in bed by 1:30am with that reasonable 11pm start. It just kills the momentum, no wonder it does for the audience in attendance. It's like going to a concert and having massive breaks between songs. Watching at home I start looking at my phone, channel flicking etc. I just can't get into it. The adverts are still as annoying in the ring. Take the ones off the turnbuckles at least. You can't even read them anyway. Speaking of - perhaps because US culture doesn't seem quite so exotic as it did back in 1991 when I was 11, and the world is a lot smaller, it just looks stupid that you've got a match sponsored by the mediocre burger chain Wendy's and Ram - which you can drive quite easily over here now. Did have a chuckle thinking of how old UK WOS 'supershows' they used to have at Wembley and the RAH could've had matches sponsored by Wimpey, Bradford and Bingley and Tetley tea. They're going to use that aerial shot of Bron running down the aisle to give a limp spear for years now aren't they? Also, it's not just Wrestlemania, but just stop with the announcer table spots now. Edited April 19 by The Reverend Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted April 19 Posted April 19 7 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: Thank you. I'm not reading too much at the moment as it's obviously a far bigger experience as a whole for me, so nothing will take away from all of that 🙂 Also, the great thing with live events is 'how they play on TV' or 'is this good booking?' becomes completely redundant. It's about pomp, pagentry, atmosphere and being part of a massive community of people enjoying the moment. I've had some of the best times ever at shows which have been critically panned (wrestling or otherwise). It's irrelevant. Being there is a different thing. I really didn't enjoy the show on TV, doesn't mean I wouldn't have jumped at the chance to be there if I had the money! Enjoy every minute. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 19 Members Posted April 19 25 minutes ago, The Reverend said: limp spear for years now Me on Sertraline: Quote
LEGIT Posted April 19 Posted April 19 (edited) It was really, overall, quite shit. I thought Gunther Vs Seth was good. Drew, IMO, is the best in the company and as usual I thought he did well. I would rather he went over as he's did the job a lot the past year or 2. Thought the match ended a bit quickly, too. Everything else was either boring filler, outright shite or poorly booked. Never been a AJ Lee fan and I deffo think she's in the Michelle McCool category of overrated because of her husband. I didn't watch wrestling much when Becky Lynch was in her perceived prime but I think she's absolutely awful. Botches moves and has that cringey pantomime villain facials and theatrics. Both entrances were lame, too. I don't normally believe internet theories of Triple H booking one thing/ TKO booking another, but it's the only explanation of how messy and downright stupid the main event has been booked. It's like reading a book co-written by different authors with different viewpoints on how things should go. Chapter to chapter nothing flows or makes sense. And, obviously, the amount of adverts is extremely tiresome. I do miss good old fashioned backstage promos at an event such as this. Another complaint I've had about most Wrestlemanias for the past 10+ years is the atmosphere seems to get lost in such a big stadium and as such thr crowd seemed a bit flat. I will say on paper at least tonight's card is stronger and I'm expecting a better show. We'll see Edited April 19 by LEGIT Quote
Cannibal Man Posted April 19 Posted April 19 (edited) I tried watching a bit of this live but ithey've doubled down on how shite the presentation was in the previous years. I could watch last years muted but it's like they'd read that post specifically and were testing me to see if I could watch it with both the audio and video switched off. Edited April 19 by Cannibal Man Quote
Paid Members Kamran Posted April 19 Author Paid Members Posted April 19 6 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: There must be a happy medium somewhere in wrestling surely. I can't watch AEW PPV's live because there is just so much wrestling. I have to watch it in stages because I don't want to miss the things I like. I can't watch WWE PPV's live because there is so little wrestling that I fall asleep between the matches. I've watched the 85 minutes of actual wrestling this morning. Mostly TV matches that have wound up on a PPV. Gunther and Seth was alright, Cody and Randy was a mess, Jacob and Drew was a sub par Hard-core Title match from the late 90s. The rest I won't remember tomorrow. I was sad enough to look into this abit before the PPV. The past few WrestleManias since TKO took over have had around 40-45% wrestling, compared to around 60-65% before the takeover. In comparison, AEW All In PPVs had around 80-85% wrestling. Personally, I don't mind the AEW PPVs but I understand the criticism and there's no doubt they'd be received even better if they could balance that out more. I thought the crowd looked good, considering they were around 10K down on attendance from year, it still looked packed. I caught some of Raw and Smackdown this week after not seeing any shows (other than clips) for a while and I thought both were pretty awful. I had been looking forward to Mania and I do think it was a decent card but they seemed to lose the plot with the booking. I thought night 1 was alright (after Raw/Smackdown this week, I was worried it might be more of the same), it was pretty much what I was expecting. I joked before about them sticking more ads in to compensate for the lower ticket sales, looks like they did 😄 I'm looking forward to most of the matches tonight and I do wonder if they'll try and react to the criticism from last night with some more random booking Quote
Merzbow Posted April 19 Posted April 19 I didn't want to mess up that lovely thread with too much Vegas pricing stuff so I'll post this here, it's a short look on how the city has changed it's target audience in recent years and is purposfully pricing out the middle classes in favour of making it just a playground for the elite. MPU put out some good stuff in general, one of the more Socialist leaning American channels. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 19 Members Posted April 19 14 minutes ago, Kamran said: was sad enough to look into this abit before the PPV. The past few WrestleManias since TKO took over have had around 40-45% wrestling, compared to around 60-65% before the takeover. In comparison, AEW All In PPVs had around 80-85% wrestling. Personally, I don't mind the AEW PPVs but I understand the criticism and there's no doubt they'd be received even better if they could balance that out more Quote
Paid Members Daaaaaad! Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 Your odds of enjoying the show drastic go down! Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted April 19 Posted April 19 (edited) I'm sure it can't possibly be true, but 'reports' are suggesting the original plan was for the McAfee role to be filled by Alleister Black who would have 'goaded' and 'tormented' Orton into bringing his evil side back. And - if somehow that is true - I, for one, would like to say that I have nothing but love and admiration for Ari Emmanuel, Pat McAfee and TKO. A wonderful group of lads with our best interests at heart. Edited April 19 by d-d-d-dAz Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 16 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: I'm sure it can't possibly be true, but 'reports' are suggesting the original plan was for the McAfee role to be filled by Alleister Black who would have 'goaded' and 'tormented' Orton into bringing his evil side back. And - if somehow that is true - I, for one, would like to say that I have nothing but love and admiration for Ari Emmanuel, Pat McAfee and TKO. A wonderful group of lads with our best interests at heart. Don't rule it out. I said it in the Smacky-D thread but if you look at Pat McAfee arrive on Smackdown there are two blue tanks on the right hand side as you look at the screen. Old Ali Cack is stood between them in the background. Quote
Paid Members Rob Lowe Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 6 hours ago, 2Xtreme_lives said: Apparently all superstars who won their matches were those sponsored or associated to a sponser as part of the match or have featured in the campaigns Drew lost and they played his 'Chumba Casino' ad twice. Maybe its to symbolise how you'll end up, gambling your rent money away on the slots. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.