Paid Members Lenin Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 Underwhelming or what. Awful show. Quote
nickp1991 Posted April 19 Posted April 19 Paige just 33 She could have another 10 year career as long as she stays healthy Quote
TheScarlettChad Posted April 19 Posted April 19 17 minutes ago, nickp1991 said: Paige just 33 She could have another 10 year career as long as she stays healthy She retired for five years because her neck was destroyed. Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 (edited) Wrestlemania 42 Night 1 John Cena slowly morphing into Vince McMahon. Quite unsettling. Knight/Usos vs Paul/Theory/IShowSpeed Bang average TV match. Austin Theory is the drizzling shits. Speed's frog splash was spectacular, RVD would have been proud of that one. Jacob Fatu vs Drew McIntyre This wasn't bad, though didn't ever move into the high gear I wanted it to. I don't necessarily need a syringe through the face spot to get my rocks off but I did want a bit more violence and intensity in an unsanctioned match. Started off at a good pace but had some of the ploddy and disjointed spells you often get in plunder matches. Ultimately a fairly by the numbers hardcore match, with the obligatory table spots and not much else. I was hoping these two with this stipulation could do more. Happoy with the result, underwhelmed by the match. Charlotte/Alexa vs Bayley/Valkyria vs Nia/Lash Legend vs Brie Bella/Paige Nikki Bella sounded drunk on the mic introducing Paige. Must have been nervous. Lash and Nia's Demolition outfits were tremendous! Charlotte and Alexa had great gear too. The entrances and outfits for the first two matches were very ordinary so it was nice to see some big stage bells and whistles. Good reaction for Paige. Happy for her. There was a time where it felt like she might be a pro wrestling industry casualty but she seems to be doing a lot better these days. Definitely limited in-ring but till a fun performer in the right role and still has a lot of star power. First half of this was not great. Paige's hot tag, the showdown with Charlotte and the closing stretch all landed and got great reactions though. Cole pointing out that Paige won a title on her main roster debut and then again on her return was a good call. Another TV match but this was elevated a bit by the big return and felt a bit more mania-worthy as a result. That animatronic Grogu puppet thing was awesome. Sign him up. Becky Lynch vs AJ Lee Another decent match between these two. I liked Becky finding ways to escape the Black Widow. Not much else to say about it. Seth Rollins vs Gunther Thank goodness for Gunther. This was the best match of the night by a country mile. Loved the tempo at the start, loved Gunther managing to slow things down to his speed, then the pace and intensity built back up again from there. The finish was exactly what everyone expected, but it was still a shame because this was the only match on the card that felt PPV-worthy. Stephanie Vaqeur vs Liv Morgan Vaqeur's entrance looked incredible, shame about the fairly muted reaction for it. It's a shame as I think she's excellent and the build for this has been good. Also her theme song is crap now. I liked the NXT one a lot. Better reaction for her during the ring announcements thankfully, but Liv is only really a heel on paper. This match was a real disappointment. Got no time, didn't ever get going and had a shit finish. Another mediocre TV match. I think Vaqeur is capable of getting something close to a world title-worthy match out of Liv and they had told a good enough story to warrant it, but they didn't even try. "Stephanie Vaqeur hasn't been pinned or submitted since she joined the main roster". Well she has now. In six minutes at Mania. Lame. Nice to see Bianca Belair, she is definitely sorely missed from this roster. Her announcement was a nice moment. Cody vs Randy Cool entrance for Cody. Bunch of bullshit at the start, obviously. Jelly Roll elbowing Pat through a table. What a MOMENT!!! There were some threads of a good match in here after that, and glimpses of what these two might have been able to deliver without this horseshit piled on top of it. I liked Cody finally not being a total bitch and doing a bit of eye raking and ball kicking. It wasn't anything mind blowing but it was decent. Bit of blood, bit of heat, felt like it might be going somewhere. Then Pat came back and it got shitty again. A really odd main event, smothered under the weight of the torpedoed build. Well that was pretty shit. There was so little wrestling on the show. Definitely had that issue you often get with modern WWE, where the matches are just this inconvenient part of the show that the fans have to sit through to get to the next entrance or big moment, so might as well get them over with quickly. Some effort was made with the presentation and the gear, but seemingly very little effort into making the matches feel worthy of the occasion. Rollins and Gunther was nearly something, some of the entrances were cool, Paige's return was neat, otherwise it was a dud. Edited April 19 by JLM Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 This was the first time since becoming a fan that I decided not to bother watching a Wrestlemania, and just read the results instead. I looked at the card, and there wasn’t a single match I actually wanted to see. If the build had been better I might have felt differently, but the fact they seemingly had Cena come out and essentially say the build this year was bad (well, ‘polarising’…) is such an odd thing to do. I’m undecided as to whether or not I’ll watch night 2. Congratulations to Bianca Belair and Montez Ford, though. She’ll be missed during her absence, but it’s lovely news for them both. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 Had little to no interest in the show but figured I could quickly fast forward through it this morning to see if anything major happened. It felt like I was getting more adverts than wrestling and the bits I did see were ishowspeed, Pat McAfee, Paige and Seth Rollins. Say what you want about the likes of Wrestlemania 9 but they were 3ish hours long with no adverts and that automatically makes them better than this. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 When this was the first thing I saw online this morning I knew something bad had happened last night: Quote
Jacko Posted April 19 Posted April 19 Seemed weird to have both your celebrity’s put the other celeb through the table like they did with speed and Logan and then jelly and pat but I suppose whatever gets them clicks online is more important then anything for them. And at least I won’t have to watch the hulk doc got more time then the matches on screen Quote
Merzbow Posted April 19 Posted April 19 Go watch The Sandman Vs The Invisible Man at GCW Spring Break instead, nothing is topping that this weekend. Quote
OzExile Posted April 19 Posted April 19 Orton and Cody got going towards the end but the match was largely a cut and paste of Cena and Cody last year "did exactly what it needed to". I didn't get the ending whatsoever. The rest was bad except for Rollins and Gunther. The weird thing is that most PLEs these days are actually pretty good. Quote
NeverYield Posted April 19 Posted April 19 A very underwhelming night 1. How has it come to this? I did enjoy Drew vs Jacob but it needed a bit more as well, some blood at least. Gunther vs Rollins was ok. Not doing night 2, definitely not. I do wanna see Oba and Brock but ill watch it before I go to work. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 5 hours ago, Rob Lowe said: Cody displaying his old attires as if they are iconic like Sting/Savage/Flair was hilarious. It sounded like they were playing "Walking in the Air" from The Snowman under that part. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 The only bit I've watched is Cody's entrance because I knew it'd be something ludicrous and hilarious and I was not disappointed. Usually when wrestlers showcase their previous gimmicks/eras it highlights how deep and entertaining their career has been over the years. Cody's just highlighted how dull and stupid his has been. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 2 hours ago, JLM said: John Cena slowly morphing into Vince McMahon. Quite unsettling. It is a bit weird. Reminded me of when he was Lance Catamaran on Southpaw Regional Wrestling. Wait until him and Rollins are channelling Vince and Jesse Ventura on commentary sometime in the future. I really hope I'm wrong. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.