Shite matches that you love

Gus Mears

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Sting vs. Triple H is a big one for me - everyone I watched it with live hated it at the time, we were laughing our heads off at most of it, and a friend told me how he watched it with his mate who, after Triple H's Terminator entrance, stood up and applauded saying, "fair play, that's the shittest thing I've ever seen". 

I loved that match at the time, and in retrospect too!  Everyone seemed offended on Sting's behalf but he's never had a bad word to say about it, and was made to look like an enormous deal with all the huge stars turning up to help/interfere.  It's just the sort of insane nonsense that I watch wrestling for, DX v NWO even though that makes no sense.  I think at the time it was seen as a possible one-and-done for Sting so they threw the kitchen sink at it.

I'm quietly hoping HHH uses it as a template for the Rhodes/Reigns rematch.

• Paid Members

I honestly didn't know the Punjabi Prison cage wasn't made of actual bamboo - looking at that thumbnail, it's quite clear it's one of the old blue bar cages painted yellow, stained with some grey paint, then had string tied at the joints! Very clever bit of illusion there.

Yeah Sting/Triple H was fine by me as well. The commentary was dodgy and it was full of the usual WWE-jingoisms to the point where it's basically just Triple H Vs. Sting if they could have done it in the middle of the invasion angle, but it was essentially just a segment in isolation consciously designed at the time to sell the Monday Night Wars series they were flagshipping the Network's original content with. It was sort of meant to be a big goofy walk in museum full of mud slinging, fronted by two old farts who didn't need it as a career making, respect earning booking. 

• Paid Members

I also think the Sting/Triple H match is tons of fun even if it's completely nonsensical. The ending of it is horrible though - it builds up pretty perfect to a babyface Sting victory but then it just...keeps going and Triple H wins. Wet fart ending.

• Paid Members

@CAREBEAR LUVVA That was tremendous. New Jack looking cooked in the five yards between entrance and ring, Sandman leaning on his kendo stick like an old man with his cane, the Man Who Ate Justin Credible failing to throw chairs into the ring and his mic not working.

This is another one I watch quite often. The legendary barbed wire Christmas tree match - TNA at its worst/best.

• Paid Members

There's a New Jack vs Bam Bam Bigelow match which is a complete mess but I love watching it. It's from Wrestlepalooza 98 I think. New Jack does his usual weapons schtick but a few minutes in Bigelow quite visibly gets annoyed and fed up with being hit with stuff so just relentlessly clobbers Jack with audience chairs knocking New Jack out for real. Everything from that point on falls apart insanely quickly. The highlight is New Jack doing a balcony dive holding a guitar while clearly having no fucking clue where is or what he's doing. Eventually Bam Bam just deadweight picks him up, carried him back to the ring and hits his finish for the win. It's an absolute cluster fuck of a match but the chaotic energy and weirdness of seeing such a styles clash between Bigelow and Jack makes it highly enjoyable in my book.

Antonio Inoki vs The Great Antonio is a fav shitter to go back to once in a while, the latter being one of the worst workers in existence but with a hugely over inflated ego so thought he could no sell everything thrown at him until the strikes became so real he was kicked in the head repeatedly busting him open and probably knocking him the fuck out.

He's a really interesting fella though.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

There's a New Jack vs Bam Bam Bigelow match which is a complete mess but I love watching it. It's from Wrestlepalooza 98 I think. New Jack does his usual weapons schtick but a few minutes in Bigelow quite visibly gets annoyed and fed up with being hit with stuff so just relentlessly clobbers Jack with audience chairs knocking New Jack out for real. Everything from that point on falls apart insanely quickly. The highlight is New Jack doing a balcony dive holding a guitar while clearly having no fucking clue where is or what he's doing. Eventually Bam Bam just deadweight picks him up, carried him back to the ring and hits his finish for the win. It's an absolute cluster fuck of a match but the chaotic energy and weirdness of seeing such a styles clash between Bigelow and Jack makes it highly enjoyable in my book.

I actually can't stand this match, it's so horrible. I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to people being knocked out and it goes on forever with Jack being away with the faeries. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Antonio Inoki vs The Great Antonio is a fav shitter to go back to once in a while, the latter being one of the worst workers in existence but with a hugely over inflated ego so thought he could no sell everything thrown at him until the strikes became so real he was kicked in the head repeatedly busting him open and probably knocking him the fuck out.

He's a really interesting fella though.

If you'll excuse the cheap plug, I did some research into the Great Antonio while writing my book, and ended up sticking it in my blog:

https://www.patrickwreed.com/blog/the-fights-that-made-antonio-inoki-1-the-great-antonio

https://www.patrickwreed.com/blog/further-research-the-great-antonio-and-mr-wonder

A lot of the biographical information that's readily available about him online is inaccurate. He was in a displaced persons camp at the end of WW2, and most likely survived a concentration camp before that.

The (largely very good) video you posted is a little inaccurate in saying he adopted a wildman persona; when he started out as a wrestler and strongman, he actually had a pretty boy bodybuilder gimmick. 

Over the years, Antonio teamed with Bruno Sammartino and Danny Hodge, and was an outlaw promoter himself, booking a lot of big men and oddities, including a double amputee wrestler in the 1960s.

The Rikidozan match in the 50s is, I assume, the reason Inoki ended up booking him, as Great Antonio was long out of the spotlight by then. The video expresses confusion at Antonio beating five men in handicap matches, but that was his entire act.

The Rikidozan match went to a non-finish, officially a draw, under a similar set of circumstances as the Inoki match, Antonio being uncooperative. He was possibly roughed up afterwards by some of Rikidozan's goons, and definitely kicked off the tour early because he was constantly complaining, was angry about being expected to lose, and generally difficult to deal with. I assume Inoki wanted to kind of one-up Rikidozan by beating him, but who knows.

• Paid Members

I've always thought the Pat Patterson / Gerald Briscoe evening gown match was actually well worked so I'm not sure I can or should contribute to this topic.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Triple H vs Sting was amazing, for years one of my biggest regrets as a fan was not making it over to see that match and Sting in that type of environment. I'm thankful All In helped me get over it.

The Sandman vs Sabu Stairway to Hell is always one of the first that comes to mind for me. A compelling car crash, Sabu breaks his jaw about half way through and is quite visibly in horrific pain, Sandman's losing a ridiculous amount of blood stuck with a barbed wire crown for the last minutes. The finish is just one cane shot, which sounds pretty weak on paper, I often watch the kendo sticks being used and wonder if it actually hurts... not this time, oof! It's an awful, uncomfortable mess that I watch semi regularly.

Sid vs Goldberg from Halloween Havoc 99 is a good one too. I love throwing it on with no context (fuck you if you try to add some), why is Sid already pissing blood? Why is he valiantly fighting from underneath? We may never know, but it is fun AF.